HDD not being reconized

Thread: HDD not being reconized

Post HDD not being reconized

I have a quick question, I'm trying to throw an old WD 3GB HDD in another PC we have here, and after I did it all, Win98 would not reconize it.

I haven't troublshot it yet, and I will afer I type this (I'll make sure the bios is/isn't seeing it). If not, I'll work on it tomorrow.

My question is, I have it plugged in the secondary IDE controller, with the CD-RW.
    The primary HDD is set as a master (only) on the primary controller, and the secondary HDD is set as a slave on the secondary controller, while the CD-RW is set as a master.

Space is very limited in this PC (HP4440), and the cable that connects the primary IDE to the master HDD will not reach where the secondary is supposed to be mounted. I have thought og placing the HDD on the bottom of the case, where the cable should be able to reach, but I would prefer to have it mounted just to be sure.

Thank you!

***** EDIT*****
    Yep, the BIOS isn't reconizing the HDD. I'll troubleshoot it tomorrow, just wanting to know if hooking it up to the secondary with the CD-RW might cause a problem.
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Try changing the second HD from slace to CS (cable select) I've found that this works some of the time. Also some hd's don't like being slaves behind cd's so maybe switch that around.
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Gollo is right, many hard drives don't like being a slave to the CD-ROM master. Try it the other way around, 2nd drive as master on the secondary channel with the CD-ROM as slave.

I have mounted many a drive in an odd spot due to lack of a "bay" or cable length limitations. I use Velcro. This allows you to remove the drive as needed & keeps it from rattling around in the case. It holds it as securely as screws in a bay in my opinion. Think about it, if it will hold shoes on elderly men’s feet.....

I got tired of "cable length limitations", so I purchased an IDE cable (IDC crimp) tool & the connectors to make IDE "extensions". It's a socketed male connector (looks like the connector on the drive). You connect it to the IDE cable & it extends the reach as far as necessary. The tool is $14 + shipping from <a href="http://www.pccables.com." target="_blank">www.pccables.com.</a> It's really easy to use, you can hardly screw it up. They sell the connectors also.

You can get Velcro strips with self adhesive backs that you can cut to size as needed from the Dollar Store or Wally World.

Also, i've found WD drives like cable select moreso than any others. I was taught never to use CS, always specify, but WD often wont function in anything but.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

FYI- (so people aren't posting all night)
    I got it to work.

I had to do a little Mod'ing - velcro may not be a bad idea I'll have to try that next time I have some and I have that PC out (its a pain in the a$$ to get in and out...

I have it connected via the primary HDD controller as a slave to the other HDD - It is standing on its side next to the other drive (which is also on its side...)

Its working now - although now I wish I checked once more before I closed it up- I should have tried putting the HDD as the master on the secondary, and the CD-RW as the slave ..
    *shrug* I guess I'll never know...

Thank you for the help!
    Live Free or Die

Never forget, never lose those who have been lost.

My Malinois is smarter than your honor roll student!

Glad you got it going but something else to consider with WD, if they are on the same controller as a cd/cdrw/dvd they DO have to be the master but they also like to be set as SINGLE a lot of the time. WD HD seem to not regard cd/cdrw/dvd as drives. Not positive about zips.

I've also never had to and very rarely set a wd drive to cable select. The only time you need to do that is if you install in like a compaq/hp that use cable select cables. Or maybe if you are using the ATA66 cable. Like I said if it's not one of those cases and you are having trouble with a wd and it's paired with a cd/cdrw/dvd set it to single and you shouldn't have any trouble at all.

GLSmith
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

Cool

Something else of note in this whole thing, most CDRW drives prefer to be the master. Otherwise buffer under-run city. Also WD drives have their own special jumper selection for being a single drive (jumper on 3-5 or 4-6 depending on the particular drive). They don't have to be set as cable select, even in Compaqs or HPs. Just the single drive special jumper setting. Just my 2 cents.

Banned

Odd, I have almost always put cdroms on cable select, just seem to have less problems that way. Heck, my cdrw only works properly on cable select. Been doing this on HP(as previously noted), Gateway(please don't snicker), and Dells.

What would be the reason not to set the cd or hd to cable select, as long as it is working? Of course, I really only set it on cd's though.

Cool

Cable select IS a master/slave setup. It just looks for the location of the drive on the cable. Rather than asking the drive if it's master or slave it just uses the location on the cable as the reference for master. Drive 0 is master and Drive 1 is slave. Drive 0 or master has priority over Drive 1 or slave. That's why it is best to set up a CDRW as the master, since it will have priority over whatever other drive is hooked up to that cable.