Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

Thread: Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

Post Windows protection error. You need to restart your computer.

Usually i get this error after installing a driver, or doing something reversible to the system. but this time i got it after reloading windows 98. i tried installing windows to a brand new directory, and the same error persists. this is a dell inspiron 3000 notebook. tested the hardware and it all checks out ok. i've tried every which way, and the only way i can get into windows is through safe mode. please help.

You can sometimes get this error message if there is an incorrect setting in the BIOS. Try resetting the BIOS to defualt or fail-safe values.

If not I would try a swapping the memory.

Good luck

last time I had that was recently and it was an amd k62 500 running win 95 and it needed the patch for a fix . Just thought this may get the thinkers rolling.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

I got this from another post and i am sorry I can't give proper credit but it works.

Windows '9x / ME does not install some vxd files in your system directory by default, adding them manually has proven to help for a healthy setup with less crashes. To resolve 20 to 50% of the system errors in any Win9x build, extract these vxd files manually from cab 47 and 48 into c:\windows\system\vmm32 and c:\windows\system\ The following files should be extracted:
    vcomm.vxd, vdmad.vxd, configmg.vxd, vdd.vxd, vmouse.vxd, ntkern.vxd, vflatd.vxd.
    Extract these files and reboot. Your system will love you for it. Note: In Windows 98SE, the files are located in CABs 53 and 54.
    This bug in the installation of Windows '98 is not reported or confirmed by Microsoft, and there seems to be some controversy on whether extracting the vxds really improves anything. Judging by the hundreds of positive replies we're getting, it fixes numerous problems in the operation of Windows.
    VMM32.VXD is a generic, slower MS driver, build at Windows installation. Some of the drivers needed on your system, including these vxd's are supposed to be part of VMM32. As it turns out, however, it generates quite a few problems with many systems. Extracting the vxd's to the \vmm32 directory provides for loading the drivers separately. It has been proven to fix lockups, error messages at start-up, VMM errors, erratic/slow mouse movement and many others..
    To check if you need the vxd's yourself, look in the Driver File Details tabs in your Device Manager ( Control Panel > System > Device Manager ). If you find entries containing 'vmm32', there's a good chance you need to extract these manually. For example, in my Modem Driver details, I had " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VCOMM.VXD (VMM32) " before, and just " C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\VCOMM.VXD " after I extracted the vxd's. Note: if you're upgrading, rather than doing a clean install of Windows '98, you might have the old, Windows '95 vxd's in your system. You can check the file versions ( they should be 4.10.1998 ) if you want to find out whether you need the vxd's
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush