[RESOLVED] re-booting bios

Thread: [RESOLVED] re-booting bios

ahernbrode

Resolved [RESOLVED] re-booting bios

I have a client that has one of those e-machine computers. Its a Celeron 433.
    When she shuts down from Win98 the computer reboots instead.
    I disabled the Power COntrol from the BIOS, still happens
    Did some other things in the BIOS in regards to Power Control. Nothing seems to work
    What I know is that it is not a windows issues. I rebooted and went to a safe mode command prompt (no DOS drivers)
    I shut the machine down (power button) and it restarts a second later.
    The only way to successfully turn the machine off is too unplug it.
    Sometimes the machine will shut down without unplugging but then I cannot restart it again with the power button. The only fix around this is to unplug the unit, wait about 5 seconds and plug it in and it will automatically restart.
    What's happening here???

Kenteth420

I've never worked on an emachine before but I think I read in a post here somewhere thats its a power supply issue, I would hook up another power supply just to test if thats the case, one thing to rule out anyways.

sly69

Lightbulb

Try bios settings, power setting

also look at msconfig, disable fast shutdown. Click the advanced button under the general tab and uncheck box..

------------------
    "Computious say
    Ain't Life A Byte."

ahernbrode

Since I physically shut the machine down from the "safe Mode DOS prompt" does that "not" rule out Windows as the problem?

I will consider the power supply as a possible problem although the machine is now out of warranty

Cool

hi there, i am runnung a cheaper machine(clone) and i had the exact same problem, turnrd out it was a setting in the bios for rebooting instead of shutting down. worth a look anyway.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahernbrode:
    The only way to successfully turn the machine off is too unplug it.
    Sometimes the machine will shut down without unplugging but then I cannot restart it again with the power button. The only fix around this is to unplug the unit, wait about 5 seconds and plug it in and it will automatically restart.
    What's happening here???
    </font>
    I'm sure, what Your problem connected either with bad power supply (it's more likely,what Your PSU has problems with stand-by mode)- if so, replace it as soon as it will be possible!...
    or (worst thing)- with bad on-board switch mode voltage regulator(HIP6004a,HIP6019a or similar).I've seen so many fried MoBos,caused by that piece of s'''t, called "stand-by mode 5v supply"...

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

first thing, emachines use the sh!tiest hardware i have ever touched.
    I have had them literally blow-up in my face, (powersupply blew while plugging it in, i was leaning over the top and plugging the power cord in - my face was about 4 inches away when it POPPED - like a M-80 going off in your face...)

but other than that - it is probably something with it detecting an ACPI compliant computer, and it isnt.

crappy hardware always gives problems, that is why it is crappy (PCCHIPS anyone???)

GirlGeek

emachines are garbage. Just had one on the bench that kept restarting itself. Heatsink fan was the tiniest thing you ever saw, replaced it and problem was solved.
    From everything I've heard about emachines always check the PS first, fans second, memory third and regardless, check all cables. There's a bbs I ran across once where people posted their problems with emachines and wow....what a long list. Here's a link for emachine PS's in case that's the problem.
    http://www.directron.com/emachine.html

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

[This message has been edited by GirlGeek (edited February 25, 2001).]

ahernbrode

w/o having to purchase a P/S for the machine, is there any definitive source of information that tells me that the P/S is the problem!!

Sorry, good customer!

------------------
    when at the bottom, you can always look up!

GirlGeek

If you have an extra PS swap it out and test the machine that way. That's going to be the only way you'll know for certain.

------------------
    Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit, and
    the recipient who doesn't get it.

ahernbrode

i was afraid of that!

------------------
    when at the bottom, you can always look up!