[RESOLVED] Can you recover data after writing zeros
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Can you recover data after writing zeros

Apathy

Question Can you recover data after writing zeros

I know that if you simply fdisk and format that you can recover at least some of the data with data recovery tools. If you write zeros and then fdisk and format, can any of the data be recovered or does writing zeros eliminate any possibility of recovery?

------------------
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.

melee5

Wiping the entire drive with a utility like IBM's wipe.com will render all data gone the moment wipe.com is done. Fdisk will do some overwriting, Format will do even more overwriting. But I seem to remember seeing some data of some kind still on a drive with just Fdisk and Format.
    You will need expensive software in order to retrieve any of it, I'm sure, as the directory sectors get overwritten by Format.
    Were you looking to retrieve data or to clear a drive? How did you write the zeros?

GJFowler

I guess you're referring to a Low Level Format, sometimes called writing zeroes, as it returns every Bit on the data surfaces to the zero state. It destroys all the data on the drive, unlike Fdisk or Format.

As said above, costly data recovery analysis could well recover the previous bit-states, from memory I think Mil-spec standard erasure requires random data followed by zeroes to be done three times.

------------------
    The platypus, proof God has a sense of humour.

sdrawkcab

There are means, even after a single low-level format (Zero the drive on Mac and in some software) to recover some data. This is pretty expensive and requires professional equipment and knowledge.

When I remove a drive with sensitive data which will eventually be resold, I use 2 different controllers and low-level, partition, and high-level format the drive on each. This is good enough for all but the government.

------------------
    American Red Cross
    1-800-GIVE-LIFE
    1-800-448-3543
    www.redcross.org

geeksRus

Cool

i was told by a local deputy sheriff who knows that data can be recovered from a drive that has been zero-filled several times. a very expensive proposition tho and requires some very sophisticated software.

------------------
    http://www.thetruthconnection.com/

Wink

To eliminate any Possibilty of retriving the Data:
    fdisk, format, Low Level Format, Fdisk, format - > Write Random "Gibrish" files to the HDD. Delete and format again.

I don't think anyone can recon data from this device...

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Andi

Then again.....If its that sensitive you should take the same procedure as the big institutions do and mechanically destroy the drive,a big lump hammer usually does the job.
    It all depends on what security risk the data is and if you are a home user this is likely to be minimal risk area.
    So as per the previous posts an fdisk and format would do the job well enough for most people.

Apathy

Thanks for the responses. I just wanted to make sure that I had accurate information before I passed it along to anyone else

------------------
    I know enough to know that there is alot that I don't know.

Ya_know

I suppose a 3-pound magnet should be good enough to wipe out the drive beyond any recovery utility. I would wonder if the drive would function after that sort of format...Anyone?

walkerwebmaster

Talking

only if you call head slams and bios not finding it working but if you call spinnign working ... yes it works

mpeton

If you really wanted to, you could take the disks out and put them in another hd to get it to work again. The best way would be to open the HD up and break the disks. Then it would be impossible to get the data back.

------------------
    "I only know that I can change. Everything else just stays the same." -Staind, Fade
    "So now the waves they have subsided. And my soul is bleeding. I can't take away all the shame I feel, forgive me." -Staind, Change
    "I am nothing more than a little boy inside. That cries out for attention, though I always try to hide." "I'll do the right thing if the right thing is revealed. But it's always raining in my head" -Staind, Epiphany

StevePorter

Talking

Of course, a low yield thermonuclear device would also serve the purpose, although it's a bit of an overkill...

------------------
    Some computer problems require extreme solutions. Spaceman Spiff sets his blaster to deep fat fry...

Ya_know

Bulk erasers will do the trick, and you can reuse the drive. Absolutely no data is recoverable.

I don't have the funds for one if these, can someone front me some cash?

http://www.datasecurityinc.com/products.htm

[This message has been edited by Ya_know (edited September 18, 2001).]

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    Of course, a low yield thermonuclear device would also serve the purpose, although it's a bit of an overkill...

</font>

Um, I tried that. It was kinda messy, and now everything in the store GLOWS. Any suggestions?

Cool

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by clascomp:

Um, I tried that. It was kinda messy, and now everything in the store GLOWS. Any suggestions?
    </font>

LOL!!! U made my day clascomp...

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence