[RESOLVED] Using a router to connect to the internet

Thread: [RESOLVED] Using a router to connect to the internet

tk421

Resolved [RESOLVED] Using a router to connect to the internet

I have an internet connection that connects to a computer. It must connect to this computer, because it is some kind of satellite internet service, and it needs this software running. I would like to connect more computers to the Internet, via a Linksys router.

The Satellite modem thing connects via USB to the computer running the software. The computer has a NIC. I want to hook up the router, then the router to the hub with my other computers, and make it all work.

Can I do this? Do I have to install ICS or something on the main machine? (it is running Win2k).

Thanks.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

Antimatter

ICS is the easy way to do it. Just use dhcp on the other machines and set up ICS on the machine connected to the modem.

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Make sure you get a Linksys router with a usb imput.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

tk421

a dumb question:

to use ICS, do I need to enable ics on the WAN network card or the LAN network card?

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

ch1as

If you could find a router that has a USB input then it should be very easy without the use of ICS (Ive just never seen one but then again I dont look around to much so they probably exhist ). And just attach the hub to the router via a crossover attached into either the uplink or a regular port (Ive seen them work both ways on different routers so you may have to play around with it)

ch1as

Red face

Whoops ... I didnt realise (or I just posted to quickly without thinking is what i really did)That the software needed to be running. You may want to disregard my input previously. sorry bout that. Im not to familiar with satellite.

tk421

yes, apparently that software does need to be running. seems pretty stupid to me... makes this really difficult to setup.

so, to get ics running, which connection do I need to share? WAN or LAN?

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell