Need to add CD Drivers, but not to the Config.SYS

Thread: Need to add CD Drivers, but not to the Config.SYS

Post Need to add CD Drivers, but not to the Config.SYS

I am currently installing Windows 98 on some IBM Thinkpad laptops (9547-U3F). These are the ones that have a swappable bay (NOT hot) that is used for either a floppy or CD. If I were installing an O/S on a desktop, I would simply use a bootable disk with CD ROM drivers, then install off the CD. Since I can not have both the floppy and the CD hooked up at the same time on this laptop, I booted from the floppy, and then loaded Windows 98 using my Backpack CD ROM drive. Now, I need to add the CD ROM drivers for the Thinkpad CD to Windows 98. I could add it via the Config.SYS, but that seems like a really sloppy way of doing this. How can I manually add it via the Registry so that it looks like the Thinkpad CD was used during the original install? Maybe, I'm missing something really obvious here. Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

dude, why don't you boot off the win98se cdrom? or is it not an option in the bios??

------------------
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

Sorry_I_Win

i'm not sure what u need here. Do u just want the default windows setup path to refer to the swapable cd-rom as opposed to the drive letter u installed windows with?

or can't u get the swapable cd-rom to be recgonized by windows?

if u want to change the install path, it is here in the registry:

got to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Setup
    - Change occurences of the old drive letter to the new one

also may want to change:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\InstallLocationsMRU
    and
    HKEY_USERS\_Default\InstallLocationsMRU

windows will auto load any drivers you need while operating in windows. The only time you need drivers in Config.sys, or autoexec.bat is for dos mode support, or becasue the drivers arn't realy for windows but a slopy way of doing it by the manufacturer. My recomentdation is to setup hardware profiles in windows. Assumming the drives arn't hot swap, you just restart, repalce drive, and selct the other profile when windows loads. name then floppy and CD-Rom, then you know wich you want.

as to your install ation method. win 98 cd is bootable, and i think the think pads support it, try looking into your boot config in bios.

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

you can use poledit to change to default install path.

you have to install it - it resides on the win98 cd, i think under tools, admin, and network (dont wuote me on that)

poledit will allow you to change the path to the win98 files.
    (best thing to so is place the files under c:\windows\options\cabs = this way they dont need the cd when they change a setup option)

Confusion - is windows not detecting the cdrom on reboot?

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by willieray:
    dude, why don't you boot off the win98se cdrom? or is it not an option in the bios??

</font>
    No, this BIOS does not support booting off the Win98 CD. This computer (Pentium 100) predates that ability.

As for the other replies, thanks, but let me explain my problem again.

I can not boot this computer off the CD, so that leaves me two options. I can remove the CD drive, and put the floppy drive back in, then boot off it, or as a second option, I can boot off the hard drive. What I did was format the hard drive, then boot off a floppy containing drivers for my external Backpack CD-ROM drive. Next, I installed Win98 using the Backpack. Once finished, I unhooked the
    Backpack. If I remove the floppy drive at this point and put the IBM CD-ROM drive in, Windows 98 will not realize it is there. I need to change the registry in Windows 98 so that when Windows 98 starts it loads the drivers for the IBM CD-ROM drive. I do not know how this is done. I could just load the CD driver from Config.sys, but this seems sloppy.

As yet another alternative, I guess I could format the hard drive, then load the bare minimum files on the hard drive to boot the computer and load the IBM CD ROM drivers. I could then load Windows 98 from the IBM CD ROM drive, and Windows would automatically recognize the need for those CD ROM drivers when it installs. This would work, but does not seem the most efficient way of doing this.

Besides, it would still be useful information to know how to add CD drivers to Windows (not via Config.sys). For example, someday I may be working on a computer which already has Windows installed. Then, I decide to add a used CD ROM drive (in other words, no install floppy). So how would I get Windows to load the CD driver for the recently installed drive? Thanks everyone for your input.

------------------

[/b][/QUOTE]
    For example, someday I may be working on a computer which already has Windows installed. Then, I decide to add a used CD ROM drive (in other words, no install floppy). So how would I get Windows to load the CD driver for the recently installed drive? Thanks everyone for your input.

[/B][/QUOTE]

The point of several previous responses is that there are no drivers to install for a CD ROM in any version of Windows since the introduction of Windows 95. If a working drive is connected, Windows will see it and initialize it when Windows is booted. If the drive isn't being seen, then something else is corrupted. Next time you might try booting to the floppy with your backpack connected, copy the Win98 folder off the CD to the C: drive and then reboot with the IBM CD connected and install from the C: drive...

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

compaqman

Boot off a floppy disk, make sure it has fdisk, and format, along with a copy of your cd-rom drivers. after you fdisk the drive, use format with the /s switch, this will copy over your system files and allow you to boot from the hard drive. Create your autoexec.bat and config.sys on the hdd to recognize the CD ROM in DOS. shut down the machine, insert the CD ROM and then reboot, you should be ready to proceed. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Net Appliances: The Next Generation... The USB Toaster.