When a new client wants to go honest with software....

Thread: When a new client wants to go honest with software....

Question When a new client wants to go honest with software....

In your opinion, when a client, at your prompting, (begrudgingly and reluctantly) wants to legalize their extensively deployed pirated software:

a) is it sufficient merely to park the boxes of legal software and licensing packs in the software cabinet, leaving all the illegal installations unchanged?

b) is it necessary to uninstall all the illegal software and do legal re-installs?

c) is it possible to change only the key information on the installations of the illegal software?

dlagace

I think as long as the customer has a liscence for their software then it shouldn't really matter if they have pirated installations. But i'm not sure what microsoft would say, either way the guy would be safe in a court of law because he has purchased a liscence, and I'm sure if the guy comes in in a couple of months for another reinstall but forgets his CD, you will save the guy the trip back home and install it with your backup CD. Right?

------------------
    Belive me the customer is rarely right, just make it look like they are to keep them quiet, (if possible)

pumpkinhead77

I'd say that he's ok, I mean all Microsuck and the like are after is money right? Why do they care what you do after they have your money? At least you were honest and gave them the money.

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

Exclamation

Well actually they do care what you do. They arn't always after the Mom's and Dad's they are more interested in the corparations. By your reconing pumpkinhead77
    if a company buys 1x copy of Win2k they can put it on the 178 workstations in their offices accross the country.........I dont think that is right.

The guy should install the licenced version of his software.

My two cents.

It was like that when I got here!_ _ _ ___ _ _ _ pig's a$$.

as long as it is payed for through a legal means, then that company is covered.
    you can leave the old key numbers in place (MS doesnt care what the key numbers are, as long as it is licensed for use on that machine)

As long as the company has purchased one license per installation it is okay - you are allowed to install the software on one machine and image it to every machine in your organization as long as you have a license for every copy installed. Now an argument can be made that as long as you did not have more than x copies of the software running at any given time you could reinstall it as many times on as many machines as you would like with x licenses, however that argument is hard to prove and the burden rests on your shoulders to provide some way of preventing access to prevent more than the acceptable ammount of licensed users from violating the licensing agreement.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

MacGyver

We have 60 installs of AutoCAD installed across the country - all with the same key and authorization code because the workstations are imaged with Norton Ghost. Same deal with Office and just about any other software we use. We have site licenses and/or prepaid per user licenses so we are 100% legal! We have all the license information at head office. Anybody who needs to know, I just refer them there.

At the very least he could change his registration key in the registry so the license numbers match up. Hard to explain why the license on the shelf doesn't match what's installed on the PC!

Really though, it's these types of situations that make it difficult to charge and convict a single person of piracy. That's why the software companies go after the shops, companies, and copyhouses that distribute it, and not the end user. Sad but true, the case has to be worthwhile to pursue and have a good chance of winning in court or there isn't much point. $$$$$$$$$!

------------------
    sHIFT hAPPENS

AcId_BuRn

Well as far as that goes sell the liscence if you want but don't touch or acknowledge the fact that it's there because it's your *** and his....

------------------

Darren Wilson

To clear this up.

If you own the correct amount of licenses for the software used and the same number of machines that you have the licenses for then it doesn't matter how the software was installed as YOU are licensed to use it on those systems. The OEM number used doesn't make a difference even if it is diferent to the one supplied on the licenses.

Believe me this is correct as I have spoken to Microsofts Piracy division regarding this in the past.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

condor

Thumbs up

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    To clear this up.

If you own the correct amount of licenses for the software used and the same number of machines that you have the licenses for then it doesn't matter how the software was installed as YOU are licensed to use it on those systems. The OEM number used doesn't make a difference even if it is diferent to the one supplied on the licenses.

Believe me this is correct as I have spoken to Microsofts Piracy division regarding this in the past.

</font>

As always Darren is right,

Most Software companies don;t care about your serial niumber or what copy you have installed as long as you own a licensed version and a serial number.

Almost all the companies out there use some form of Image software to distribute installations and save time.

It's absurd to install every computer from scratch.

To sum it up - just having the piece of paper is enough.

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...