[RESOLVED] Bad motherboard or cpu? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Bad motherboard or cpu?

sidclaim

Computron99 and pctechie999,
    Yes I double checked the power input and it is set at 115. My power supply and cpu fans are turning. I even have power available (led) on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mpetron and pochrist1,
    I havent tried this one and it wont hurt trying before sending the mobo to the company, just waiting for for RMA#. There is white triangle on the left side of the pins(CN12) on the mobo and I aligned the triangle marking on the case connectors (ie. power sw, power led, spkr) toward the left. I'll turn the connectors around and see what happen. Thanks guys.

showard 952,
    I was told by the seller that the AMD Athlon tbird 950mhz was working when pulled from a system. There is an AMD tag 3/8"x1/2" glued on the back of the cpu. AMD Athlon, A0950AMT3B, AGGA0052SPEW, 94297540083, 1999 AMD. I didnt bother to put tape between the heatsink and the cpu to have better heat transfer plus there are 4 rubber cushion on each corner of the cpu.

sidclaim

Computron99 and pctechie999,
    Yes I double checked the power input and it is set at 115. My power supply and cpu fans are turning. I even have power available (led) on. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mpetron and pochrist1,
    I havent tried this one and it wont hurt trying before sending the mobo to the company, just waiting for for RMA#. There is white triangle on the left side of the pins(CN12) on the mobo and I aligned the triangle marking on the case connectors (ie. power sw, power led, spkr) toward the left. I'll turn the connectors around and see what happen. Thanks guys.

showard 952,
    I was told by the seller that the AMD Athlon tbird 950mhz was working when pulled from a system. There is an AMD tag 3/8"x1/2" glued on the back of the cpu. AMD Athlon, A0950AMT3B, AGGA0052SPEW, 94297540083, 1999 AMD. I didnt bother to put tape between the heatsink and the cpu to have better heat transfer plus there are 4 rubber cushion on each corner of the cpu. Is it really important to have this tape on?

cvstrat

Exclamation

I hate to tell you this but your CPU is bad. I had the same exact problem, no POST, no beeps, nothing. I was fortunate enough to have another friend running a 1.4 tbird system and I tested the chip out. I got a new chip in and turns out the motherboard was bad as well, and my ram. Regardless, if the cpu were working you would hear the beeps telling you what's wrong. Even if the mobo was bad, it would still beep at you more than likely, mind did.

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by cvstrat:
    Regardless, if the cpu were working you would hear the beeps telling you what's wrong. Even if the mobo was bad, it would still beep at you more than likely, mind did.</font>
    Not always... If motherboard has fried CPU power stepdown convertor or bad BIOS chip (I've seen it almost every day at work)- You won't get any beeps from motherboard...
    So,its rather 50/50, CPU or (more possible thing),bad motherboard...Or even both components in worst case...

myomoto

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by gkeawe:
    ummm....I would check the power supply.....but that's just me!

Kdog
    </font>

As my books tell me and as I had happen to me just two weeks ago with a gigabyte board and 850 duron processor, and as he said above, check the power supply. I will lay 200-1 odds that the power is NOT switched right. To enhance what he said above, check the voltage setting on the back of the pwr supply. Then make sure its on 115v vs 230v.

If it is, then ensure the thing is SECURELY plugged into the board. PLUG IN ONLY ram, processor, and pwr supply and video too, if not already included. no kb/mouse/sound/or anything else you have, includes cdroms/hdd's/etc....

YOu should get video then, if not, then let me know, because you then need to inspect your processor to make sure no chips, dings, scratches, etc... appear. after this,ensure there is sufficient thermal paste on the processor and that there are no bent or damaged pins.

If all else fails, take it back and exchange it. IT WILL BE RMA'd.

Dangor

Question

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by sidclaim:
    Building my own puter with Chaintech 7AIA Soacket A KX133 with Athlon 950mhz, 128mb pc 133 memory, 4mb PCI s3 video card, 20gb HD, 12x dvd rom drive. When I turn on the puter, It didnt do the POST or boot up.No beep. No setting changed on MB. The screen on monitor(working)is blank. Fans on cpu and power supply turning, power LED on, saw dvd rom drive and floppy drive lights came on. Do I have a bad motherboard or cpu?</font>

I think you should check your Ram There Have been problems with PC 100 if you are not using a 100MHz Multipler Same problem with PC133 if you are using a 100MHz Multipler

rjwilke

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by cvstrat:
    I hate to tell you this but your CPU is bad. I had the same exact problem, no POST, no beeps, nothing. I was fortunate enough to have another friend running a 1.4 tbird system and I tested the chip out. I got a new chip in and turns out the motherboard was bad as well, and my ram. Regardless, if the cpu were working you would hear the beeps telling you what's wrong. Even if the mobo was bad, it would still beep at you more than likely, mind did.</font>
    Let us know where you purchased your hardware...so we will NEVER buy anything from them!!

sidclaim

Myomoto, ruslan, cvstrat, dangor and rjwilke,
    My power supply is good and set at 115vac, my 128mb pc133 ram was tested good, tried reversing connection from case to mobo no effect. So it boils down to mobo or cpu since I dont have way to test it. I'm asking for rma# to return the mobo from website, the cpu was bought from computer show. I'll try to have compu shop test my cpu if they can. Thanks for all your suggetions.

Cool

Well, i am not familiar with this board, but i am curious, does it use ddr?? if so, i have heard of cases where the ram modules must sit in slots, seperated by other slots, that have special boards in them, I.E. if you have four slots, two must have memory modules and two must have these boards, i have heard the name but am too fried to think. if this is the case, a memory error will not produce beeps, as it will think there is none in the board and it will seem dead. check the manual..

as well, watch your keyboard lights, do they all light up and then go out just after turning on the power?
    if so it is cpu or ram, could be either. i dunno all i can tell you is that if the keyboard lights flash, then the bios and keyboard bios (these might be in the same chip) are working, and recieving power, and probably the board is o.k.

MAYHEM

A couple things to check:

1) Make sure there are no metal standoffs in the case that do not correspond to holes in the mainboard. An extra standoff where there isn't supposed to be one will short the board.

2) I had a similar problem with some Abit boards a few years ago. Turns out the problem was the bios was set to boot to PCI video first. Normaly if PCI video is not found it will skip to AGP, but for some reason these board were not continuing to look for AGP. I nstalled a PCI card and it posted, changed the bios to boot AGP first and changed back to the AGP video card. Booted fine from then on.

3) Make sure the AGP card is seated completely you should feel two distinct "stops" as it goes in.

4) You might try powering up while holding the INSERT key. This will force it to boot with bios defaults. (just in case somethinggot changed accidently)

5) I agree with everyone else who said get rid of the cheap motherboard. I never skimp and ANY componants, Mainboard especialy. Spend the extra few bucks to get quality parts and you will have alot fewer problems.

------------------
    Well... I say... Nuke the unborn baby gay whales!

[This message has been edited by MAYHEM (edited September 21, 2001).]

gm

i have a similar problem right now. i am currently building a new box.

i have an abit kg7 motherboard and an amd 1.4ghz processor. i also got 3 256MB stick of PC2400. my first problem was with my memory. it was beeping several times, it turned out that 2 of my 3 sticks were bad. so i fixed that and boot up. i get in to the bios. i then get my mother board manual and when i look back at my monitor it is blank... but still has power. what would cause this to happen with no adjustments being made?