[RESOLVED] Netgear Router

Thread: [RESOLVED] Netgear Router

mashley278

Angry Netgear Router

I've got a company that just went with a cable modem. They have chosen to link their network for multiple internet access. So, I installed a Netgear Router. I've done this exact setup, same broadband service, same router, same network connection, ten times. BUT... I can't get one of the PC's to get the correct TCP/IP protocols. When I run winipcfg, I continually get the wrong IP address, subnet mask, etc. Any ideas? Setup- 2 PC's peer to peer using TCP/IP, four port hub, Netgear router, both on WIN98

------------------
    SlotA Athlon700@802, 256MB Micron PC133, V5 5500 Omega drivers, MSIK7Pro, CDRW-CDROM,IBM ATA100 7200rpm 30G, PCI128 SB

mashley278

Oh yeah, forgot to add that the network is running just fine. They can share files and print, just no internet connection.

------------------
    SlotA Athlon700@802, 256MB Micron PC133, V5 5500 Omega drivers, MSIK7Pro, CDRW-CDROM,IBM ATA100 7200rpm 30G, PCI128 SB

JediMasta

try removing the NIC completely, then reinstalling, this should reinitialize the drivers and tcp/ip protocols.

if you are really desperate, wipe

hey, well i've got a similar setup at home using a Netgear router. you might want to make sure the configuration is all correct on the router. so one PC can get on the net,but the other can't. I would also try uninstalling the NIC drivers, then reinstalling. also, uninstall tcp/ip and reinstall. try running SFC, you may have files corrupted. those are just some ideas.

------------------
    "To Serve, To Strive and Not To Yield" ---Outward Bound
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

ch1as

What IP is it getting? It doesnt start with a 169. does it?

ch1as

If its giving itself the IP (169.x.x.x.) then its not picking it up from the DHCP. Try first reinstalling the drivers like Jedi suggested, then maybe try setting it to 10mb (if its set at 100 right now) because the cable may be running to slow to handle the bandwidth (bad cable??). Also try it in a port you know is good. Hope one of these helps.

mashley278

Nope, keeps giving itself some strange number(not 169.xxx). I'm at home now so I can't give you the exact #'s. I tried removing everything from the network menu, it reinstalled everything, but now his AOL won't start up (says there is a TCP/IP error), and I get screwed up addresses.

------------------

mashley278

Angry

Alllriggght. No dice with removing the card, reinstalling the drivers, or wiping the entire network menu out. I thought about going into the registry and clearing everything out, but I hate to mess with a customer's reg unless I have to. Still networking with no problem. I do get 169.xxx.xxx etc. The NIC is old, could there be a problem with it (like I said, networking is no prob)? Could it be the router? Yesterday I got it to sign on at the NETGEAR wizard, but it seemed to crap out a little later. I have no clue what's going on with this. I'm actually thinking about getting another company in there to check it out. What do you guys think?

------------------

twelve

Just a thought, are you using the DHCP settings on the Netgear and if you are, have you tried manually configuring the PC... The default IP for the netgear should be 192.168.0.1 and the DHCP pools I've seen on netgears are for like 192.168.0.2-30 so try IP 192.168.0.50 SM 255.0.0.0 and set the DNS and Gateway to be 192.168.0.1...

mashley278

Well, the router was not handing out IP addresses. I called a buddy of mine with a conglomeration of letters behind his name. He came over and checked it out, yep, the router was bad. Picked up a Linksys and everything is hunky dory. Thank you all for your help and your time.

------------------