can't disable onboard sound

Thread: can't disable onboard sound

Post can't disable onboard sound

i have a guys machine here, PIII 1 ghz on a asus cuv4x-v (onboard sound and video) and he wants me to install a sound blaster live card for him. the problem is i can't remove and disable the onboard sound. i have removed the sound card in windows, restarted, gone into the bios and disabled it, but when windows restarts it finds and reinstalls the onboard sound again. there is not a jumper to disable it on the board, or if there is i can't find and the manual doesn't mention it. i can get the SB Live card to work with the onboard, i would just really like to disable the onboard sound. any ideas?

------------------
    "the angle of the dangle is inversely proportionate to the heat of the beat"

[This message has been edited by Buddy Holly (edited September 18, 2001).]
    take care and tempt not the fates

dlagace

http://www.viahardware.com/download/viatweak.shtm
    if that board has a via chipset you may want to read this.

Remove all references of the onboard sound in the device manger and reboot with the new sound card in it's PCI Slot.

------------------

"What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge

dLagace=DANIMAL

sly69

Lightbulb

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Buddy Holly:
    i have a guys machine here, PIII 1 ghz on a asus cuv4x-v (onboard sound and video) and he wants me to install a sound blaster live card for him. the problem is i can't remove and disable the onboard sound. i have removed the sound card in windows, restarted, gone into the bios and disabled it, but when windows restarts it finds and reinstalls the onboard sound again. there is not a jumper to disable it on the board, or if there is i can't find and the manual doesn't mention it. i can get the SB Live card to work with the onboard, i would just really like to disable the onboard sound. any ideas?

</font>
    Try doing it the other way around, disable the onboard sound in the bios>intergrated peripherals>onboard sound disable, use the F8 key to start-up in safe-mode, remove all line under, system>device manager>sound, video and game controllers, shut down and install new sound card..

With sound card installed reboot and install drivers for card..

That should take care of it!!!
    Hope it helps.

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

I've tried that Sly, i've gone into safe mode, removed everything, rebooted, gone into the bios and disabled everything. i've tried everything i can think of. i am at the point now where i'm just going to leave the both cards installed in the system and let it go. i hate to give up on it, but its already taken way to much of my time. thanks for the replies guys

------------------

sly69

Let us know if anything comes of this, I'd like to know!

------------------
    "More Than Merely Names"
    "NEVER FORGOTTEN"

compwizard

Check the motherboard manual...a lot of time there is a jumper you need to move, add, or remove on the motherboad to disable it, otherwise windows will keep trying to install after you remove it from the device manager and reboot.

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by compwizard:
    Check the motherboard manual...a lot of time there is a jumper you need to move, add, or remove on the motherboad to disable it, otherwise windows will keep trying to install after you remove it from the device manager and reboot.</font>
    i did check the manual, the one that came with the board and i downloaded one from Asus, neither one mention anything about a jumper for the onboard sound. its all supposed to be done in the bios (which i tried many many times) i finally gave up on it and installed both sound cards, setting everything to use the creative. i didn't want to give up on it, but i didn't want to put anymore time into. gotta know when to fold em i guess. once again, thanks for the replies guys

------------------