[RESOLVED] Win 98SE logon issue

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 98SE logon issue

Rottieman

Angry Win 98SE logon issue

98 box is unable to logon to NT Domain. This is the error "No Domain Server was available to validate your password. You may not be able to gain access to some network resources". I have loaded and reloaded MS Networking several times and set it to login to the correct domain. Removed NIC drivers and re-added, have valid IP add, Wins and DNS are correct, changed workgroup to Domain name. I am able to ping ip's and DNS names. The machine will browse the web but I can't map to anything on the network. The machine does not show up in NN or be mapped to but the ip can be pinged from other boxes.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated....

------------------
    Fishing lets you get away from it all. Say you've gone fishing and they'll understand.

opiate

Exclamation

The only thing that comes to my mind...

If your on a bigger network, they may have the hub/switch security set to only allow certain IP's with that subnet to have access to that domain. If possible use a existing IP that you know works.

Also, make sure you don't have any spaces in the domain name, sometimes this causes tricky problems.

let us know...

Rottieman

I have tried a couple different IP's. They are all valid and the domain is only one word with four letters....

------------------
    Fishing lets you get away from it all. Say you've gone fishing and they'll understand.

iamtheman

Forget about DNS in an NT 4.0 domain with Win98 for the time being. You can ping by IP address but can you ping by Netbios name? My guess is you can't. Try this for the time being take out the DNS numbers and leave the WINS address in, until you are on the domain. Also check out your WINS server and make sure its not screwed up. Remember Windows name resolution is a very very convoluted process.

------------------
    Born to Network

jrwilson

quick check...try to ping www.windrivers.com and see if it resolves the name...
    better yet do a tracert.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by iamtheman:
    Forget about DNS in an NT 4.0 domain with Win98 for the time being. You can ping by IP address but can you ping by Netbios name? My guess is you can't. Try this for the time being take out the DNS numbers and leave the WINS address in, until you are on the domain. Also check out your WINS server and make sure its not screwed up. Remember Windows name resolution is a very very convoluted process.

</font>

[This message has been edited by jrwilson (edited January 16, 2001).]

opiate

here is what i got from micro$oft KB

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q193/6/70.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=No%20Domain%20Server%20was%20ava ilable%20&rnk=34&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98">1 Infared</a>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q157/0/63.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=No%20Domain%20Server%20was%20ava ilable%20&rnk=90&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98">2 No logon servers avali...

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q193/1/05.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=No%20Domain%20Server%20was%20ava ilable%20&rnk=93&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98">1 PPTP</a>

<a href="http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q152/7/91.asp?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0&qry=No%20Domain%20Server%20was%20ava ilable%20&rnk=99&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98">1 I think this one is it...</a>

Try switching the pc to a differnt location that you know works. Then take the computer that you switched it with and plug it try where the old pc was. If you can single out that it is not a network problem then it maybe the NIC or cable. After doing all that and if it still dosent work then reload that think. Or buy a new one.

Hope this helps. The ms articals at the top may not help any but at least it may give you an ideal of whats wrong.

[This message has been edited by opiate (edited January 17, 2001).]

Check your licencing information on the server. In server manager look for any obsolete names and remove them.

On the system, check connection type 100base, 10Base? Also check workgroup name.
    Check client for MS networks. Are you logging on to a WinNT domain? Is it spelt correctly?

Check bindings in your Network card properties. Also check TCP/IP bindings.

[This message has been edited by scutterboy (edited January 17, 2001).]
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.

yitost

Wink

Try adding the server hostname and ip address to the lmhosts file on w98, this may be beneficial

Rottieman

I think this is going to be a rebuild... This is a dual boot system and the NT side is all messed up too.(but it does log in under NT.. Strange)
    Thanks to all!

------------------

sebass54

Question

I had a similar problem on a 98 box which had been upgraded from 95a.

(Problem was that the cabs for 95a were in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs)

Setting up the network she wanted the 98 CD and since I didn't have it I inadvertently loaded the networking components from 95a cabs!!! Ahhh!

I removed the networking components, NIC and reloaded from the 98 CD and it worked like a charm.

Sh** happens.

Also, wondering if anyone else has pulled a bone head move like this at 4am?

Dumb suggestion, but gotta try it. You have checked to make sure your user name is set up on the NT server, right? I would confirm and make sure sure the user has access to something on the server side.