[RESOLVED] Ok guys I've got one
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Ok guys I've got one

shawnMt

Resolved [RESOLVED] Ok guys I've got one

My step-mom just got an emachine (grrr) and one of those 3 yr MSN deals. It's got ME with oulook express5.5. The problem is I can't get OE to recieve mail. I can connect to internet fine but when I go to check mail it pops up the username/pw dialog box. What I've tried:
    Changed pw in msn member services
    Check OE settings 50 times - even called MSN to verify them.
    Called my roomate and got him to set up her account on his machine (ME) and he got same problem
    Tried Outlook
    Got MSN to reset pw
    Put an email account in from diff. ISP and it worked fine
    Reinstalled OE and all network stuff

I haven't installed the MSN software (she doesn't have it) but you dont need it - verified this with MSN. Also I haven't tried it on a 98 box which i will do later tonight. Anybody have any ideas?

Why are family member machines ALWAYS the ones that get you?

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!

hehe
    The new manager at a client had the same prob with Outlook Express and Deltacom. after puting the setting in 100 times it just started working. Guy had a Dell Latitude with 98. Maybe it was the version of OE? You tried on something with 98 on it?

Get Hotmail :-) j/k

Not much help,
    Grider

[This message has been edited by Grider (edited November 14, 2000).]

pga

Originally posted by shawnMt:
    My step-mom just got an emachine (grrr) and one of those 3 yr MSN deals.
    ummm.. shawnMt... if she's your stepmom... i'd yell at her for falling for the emachine/MSN crap... you could have built her a system for a couple of hundred more that was 10x more stable, reliable, dependable, and upgradeable... but heck... you already know that!

Let me tell you about MSN, i had a similar problem with a customer using MSN:

They had accidentally installed an older version over the new version.

They unfortunatley did not have a copy of the new version. I serached everywhere on the internet for a place to download an updated version,... i couldn't find it!!

I put in a request (actually 2 requests) for the new version of MSN CD to be mailed to me. "Weeks passed!" I sent another request... finally, the customer had put in a request and they received their copy!! I build/repair/sell systems and after requesting the software and weeks later... the customer go it before me!!!

The problem was, it was too late... by then i had reloaded their OS and installed the MSN that was included with 98.

I hate emachines... and i hate MSN!!!!

but back to your problem.... i don't remember the settings for msn... and do not quote me on this... but are you including her @msn.com with her email log on? i am not sure if this is necessary or not...

I am sure i have not been much help here on the subject... but i have limited experience with MSN.

If their tech support cannot help her, i would tell her to tell them to have it resolved within 72 hours or they have failed to provide their end of the commitment/contract and she should be able to switch to another ISP without penalty.

If their tech support cannot help her, i would tell her to tell them to have it resolved within 72 hours or they have failed to provide their end of the commitment/contract and she should be able to switch to another ISP without penalty.[/B]
    Thats gooooood.

No sarcasm, just didn't know you could do that.

Taking info to the masses
    (masses of what we don't know)
    Grider

shawnMt

Thanks for the replies so far fellas - tried it on a 98SE box - same problem. Tried it on 4 diff machines now.

Called MSN support to get one of their "techs" to duplicate the problem. "I'm sorry sir but we can't do that." WTF do you mean you can't do that?? One guy had me open "my connection" properties in dial up networking, leave it open and then also open it out of control panel - he was SUPRISED when they listed the same thing!! I say again - WTF kind of idiotic support is that? HELLO something is wrong with the user name or p/w on the authentication server!! 4 diff machines 4 diff phone lines same problem. It's on their end.

Another problem is I'm at home and dont have my trusty cable connection so after I go through the usual blah-blah with them and they change something on the account I have to hang up and try it again.

GRRRR - any more suggestions will be appreciated!

------------------
    Paint your old laptop!

pga

Originally posted by Grider:
    Thats gooooood.
    No sarcasm, just didn't know you could do that.
    Taking info to the masses
    (masses of what we don't know)
    Grider
    Ummm... you can... legally...
    They are offering a service with a contract... in the USA if you give them a sufficient amount of time to resolve the problem and they do not... they have actually broken their contract.

72 hours may be too short of a time, but understand that if you dispute it, it will be either through mediation/arbitration through your local BBB or your local court system. Aside from legalities, there is a personal issue, especially in smaller communities vs multi billion dollar corporations. This is a smal claims trial... no jury! It is up to the local judge or arbitrator to decide....

i'd have to say if you complained enough there is a 50/50 chance of resolving it out of court, and if you have the time to go to court.. there is a 99% chance of winning.

if complaining does not work, a notice from the court will.... heck.... aside from the advantage of playing from your home field as i had mentioned.... why would microsoft pay one of their "cheapest" attorneys $150/hour to dispute a couple of hundred bucks???

Also, it would look pretty bad in the media for Microsoft to sue a 68 year old retired woman for not providing service to her!

(shawnMt... not sure of your stepmothers age... but 68 seemed to be a good age to make the media feel compassionate)

[This message has been edited by pga (edited November 14, 2000).]

pga

shawnMt,

if you feel comfortable with it.... email me her user/pass and settings and i will try it on my end.

(I am pressed for time right now as i am trying to get caught up before thursday as i am leaving on a 2 week vacation to Florida. if you email the the info within the next day or two i'll give it a shot)

[This message has been edited by pga (edited November 14, 2000).]

3fingersalute

I would call back to MSN tech support, immediately ask to talk to a supervisor, manager or senior technician. I would explain my credentials to that person, along with how you have tried different machines, different locations, different OS's and then demand they get it resolved.

I would try to talk to them on a professional, tech-to-tech level, and if the still insisted on treating me like a dumb enduser they could feed a line of crap to, I would get a little postal on them!!!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

ibennetch

Here's my two cents: I agree with the guys above, but as for the technical aspect of the problem, it sounds a lot like a problem I had about a week ago when I upgraded to Outlook Express 5.5 my Hotmail account would keep asking for a password / login. I could log in from the web page but not through OE. My pop account worked fine. i ended up deleting and re-setting up the account in OE and that sort of fixed it (it was flaky) and then about 2 days ago it started to work normal again - i hope (keeping my fingers crossed)
    Good luck, dude

I am confused to the problem, but have you checked the 5.5 service pack? Does it address your problem?

------------------
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?
    hAS ANYONE SEEN MY "cAPS lOCK kEY"?

In the old days (last month) the best way to test an email program was to install another one and see if that can retrieve the mail.

I would try netscape communicator (version 6 was just released). Also try using the full email address for the username. I don't know about MSN but other providers sometimes use this method.

Lastly, when you call tech support, have the tech try to connect to the pop server on their own computer. Many times the tech will have the same problem and then be able to escalate the issue to someone who knows something.

3fingersalute

Originally posted by spinning:
    Lastly, when you call tech support, have the tech try to connect to the pop server on their own computer. Many times the tech will have the same problem and then be able to escalate the issue to someone who knows something.
    If you look, ShawnMT DID try that last time, and I'm guessing the word Duplicate probably blew the support guy's mind away. Probably some paper tech fresh out of XYZ Community College that wouldn't know DOS or UNIX if it bit him in the *** !!!!

------------------
    WHERE DO YOU WANT TO GO TODAY?......Not that it matters, because Microsoft will crash on the way there!!!

Lightbulb

shawn,
    msn version 6.0 is available now, and DOES NOT WORK with oe. they are getting to be more like AOL in that the browser and mail services are integrated. apparently, lots of people were having the mail problem. i work at a tech bench at a retailer, and we sign people up for the three year msn all the time. you get a $400 instant in store rebate on anything. people eat it up. try the updated version (even though i hate integrated isp/browser/mail) it might do the trick, and as much as i hate to admit it, the combo is easier for the clueless.... not that your step mom is....

~willieray
    "What does it all mean, Dr. Holmes?"
    "Ahh, I can not tell. I have no data."

"Psssst...hey you...don't tell anyone i told you, but
    -l ds:0100 2 1 12 gets you FAT."

DocPC

MSN changed from POP3 to web-based email.
    ShawnMT, if you need an "in" to get to MSN support, email me.
    [email protected].

3fingersalute

Originally posted by willieray:
    shawn,
    msn version 6.0 is available now, and DOES NOT WORK with oe. they are getting to be more like AOL in that the browser and mail services are integrated. apparently, lots of people were having the mail problem. i work at a tech bench at a retailer, and we sign people up for the three year msn all the time. you get a $400 instant in store rebate on anything. people eat it up. try the updated version (even though i hate integrated isp/browser/mail) it might do the trick, and as much as i hate to admit it, the combo is easier for the clueless.... not that your step mom is....

~willieray
    Are you a Radio Shacker?????

------------------