[RESOLVED] WINDOWS ME
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] WINDOWS ME

Alphatech7

Resolved [RESOLVED] WINDOWS ME

Im using windows me, 1 week into install(fresh) wanting to know has anyone had problems or is it more stable ?????

------------------
    Alphatech7

Not too many bugs but what does concern me is that processor usage can hover around 80% with only explorer running. (No background tasks). Oh, and have you seen how big the restore folders can end up !!

------------------
    feel free to comment on my website. http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk

[This message has been edited by paul cunningham (edited August 22, 2000).]
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

Mystikal

I've installed this on several workstations. In cases where the workstations are on a LAN, I've had terribly slow network browsing results. I've been told that this occurs in Windows 2000 Workstation as well. I'm still looking for a solution.

Cool

I'm running Win Me on the shops office computer now. (650 Athlon) Works great so far. It seems much more stable than 98. I guess we'll see........hehe

------------------

WildTech

**I'd rather be lucky than smart!!**
    WildTech
    Unless your the lead dog, the view never changes!

shawnMt

Welp, I'm back - had a helluva time moving over the weekend.

My roomate installed ME on a PIII 500 and we tried to choke it. Opened control panel, highlighted everything and hit enter. Then highlighted all the fonts, right click, properties. This got the resources down around 8%. We then started UT and played it with hardly no drag. This seemed impossible to me but I saw it happen. I was impressed.

------------------
    Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted

Paint your old laptop!

JayTee

Heh, had a little training seminar on it.
    Asked me to crash it/make it unbootable.
    Deleted IOSUBSYSTEM directory.

I found out something else !!!

ME rewrites the Autoexec.bat everytime it runs. Try it, make a change, reboot and where the hell has it gone ! So, any software that writes to the autoexec.bat file is unceremoniously F*****

Nice one Bill.

------------------
    feel free to comment on my website. http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

I tried to crash it, it rebuilt the registry after deleting it, ran all of my programs, about a hundred, without a problem, but it does not like netcards. I also found that it causes some problems with my intellimouse explore, but overall it blows away win 95 and win 98se. It will also make a great OS for basic users because it is very hard to screw up, but they will find a way somehow.
    "640K ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981

richardl

Question

Has anyone had any problems running the latest version of Mcafee Virusscan 5.0 on ME?

I have had this up and running for a while ok, then it comes up with a message, saying that you hav'nt run a scan for a while. I run the scan, then it still comes up with the message. The only thing is after this, the machine just goes sluggish, and in the end I had to reinstall the whole PC.

I have just had this problem again, but this time, I had created a restore point. So went and used this, and the machine is fine again.
    Again this was after running a virusscan, on all the drives, even rebooted in between.

------------------
    Users! Cant live with em, cant kill em!

Works fine on my machine. No particular problems, or bugs. I have to mention I haven't tried any game yet, but I think it should work!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

pga

Smile

There is a new windrivers forum for Windows ME now that was put up after this topic was originally made. check it out at:
    http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum/forumdi splay.cgi?action=topics&forum=Windows+ME&number=33 &DaysPrune=20&LastLogin=

[This message has been edited by pga (edited November 16, 2000).]

Red face

I have a problem with PC-Tel modems (winmodem), under WinME. The drivers were written for W98 and load fine. The modem works at the hardware level. It will not connect to some ISPs with out a BSOD: A fatal exception error 0D has occured at: FF142E5F in VxD ptserial(05) + 0000107F. This was called from 0028:C18370C6 in VxD PPPMAC(04) + 000048E6. It will work with AOL, but not with Juno. PC-Tel is working on a new driver. Some ISP will work if you remove &K0 from the AT strings which defaults the modem to XON/XOFF, but it will not always work. Sometimes new is not better.

Greg Smith

willys

Thumbs up

I installed the upgrade version of ME on my two computers at home and not only do they run great, but it also fixed the problems I was experiencing in Win 98. I give it a thumbs up so far. However, some games I have tried to load on will not play. Other than that I am satisfied.

Originally posted by JayTee:
    Heh, had a little training seminar on it.
    Asked me to crash it/make it unbootable.
    Deleted IOSUBSYSTEM directory.
    I did the same thing!!! I knew I should have renamed it or moved it. It would have saved me a reload...lol!!

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Exclamation

Sometimes when I change CDs it doesn't register a change enless I go into my computer and do a refreash. (Duplicated on totally different system)

---
    Jon Hutto