Toshiba Laptop Problem booting

Thread: Toshiba Laptop Problem booting

Post Toshiba Laptop Problem booting

I have a Toshiba Portege that when Booted, right after Post (Toshiba Screen) a little Cursor sits and blinks in the Top Left hand corner. It won't let me F8 it, so I can't troubleshoot it in Safe Mode. It has no CD-ROM, so I need to figure out why Windows isn't booting. The C: Drive s perfect, Win.com is the correct size, nothing is strange in the Autoexec or config.sys. And I CAN'T do a Step-By-Step confirmation because F8 doesn't work. Any ideas would be great. Thanks

how did you come to the conclusion that the c: drive is good? have you run any hard disk diagnostic utilities on it?

if you take out the hard drive and hook it up to another machine, does it do the same thing?

What OS are you using? Is it an upgrade from DOS? Is the bios reporting the correct size for the hard drive? What is your first specified boot device in the bios? Is there anything connected externally to the Laptop? If so, remove them and see if the laptop will boot. Did you check for stuck keys? If the ALT button stuck? That could be the reason why F8 won't work.
    Hey? Why is my computer prompting me if I would like to accept a cookie? Is it Oatmeal or Chocolate Chip?

The drive goes through Scandisk /surface perfectly. I can do an F8 on a Floppy Disk but not when booting from C:. The Bios is set for C:>A:>CDROM. There are no external devices, no pcmcia cards. The BIOS autodetects the drive as 3.2GB like it is. Any other ideas

Have you tried CTRL instead of F8 for the startup menu? Only other thing i can thing of would be an FDISK /MBR to rebuild the master boot record. Can you remove the HD and try it in another system to prove its ok?
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook