LT Win modem and Unknown Device.

Thread: LT Win modem and Unknown Device.

Post LT Win modem and Unknown Device.

I'm having a problem building a machine:

Gigabyte GA-8IRXP
    P4 2.0
    512 DDR
    SoundBlaser Audigy MP3
    ATI Radeon 7500
    Pioneer DVD-RW
    Aopen 52x CD Rom
    2 Maxtor 80 Gig's Striped on RAID
    40 GB Maxtor for OS
    Generic LT Winmodem
    Windows 2000 Pro

The problem is the LT Winmodem. After loading the modem drivers and rebooting the modem is flagged in the device manager. It says the device has a problem and has failed to load. I have tried the drivers that came on the cd with the modem and the ones from the Agere website. I've tried different pci slots. I"ve tried different modem (same kind).

There is also a another device with the yellow exclamation in the device manager, it just says "PCI device." I can't figure out what it is. I remove it, it comes back. I don't think it's related to the modem because it's there it even when I remove the modem. And the modem is still flagged when I disable the unknown device. I loaded all the drivers from the mobo disk.

What am I missing here?
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Cool

try here:
    <a href="http://808hi.com/56k/ltwin3.asp?sc=5%3A45%3A49+PM" target="_blank">Win2kLT</a>
    scroll down to the Windows 2000 section...i have a feeling there is a problem with the driver you are using.

good luck!

[quote]Originally posted by jimmm33:
    <strong>There is also a another device with the yellow exclamation in the device manager, it just says "PCI device." I can't figure out what it is. I remove it, it comes back. I don't think it's related to the modem because it's there it even when I remove the modem. And the modem is still flagged when I disable the unknown device. I loaded all the drivers from the mobo disk.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

What that probably is is the modems "sound" driver. (I can't remember exactly what it is but it's the wave part of the driver)
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

You've got a real nice system there, and then you've got a horrible Winmodem in it!??! Its like buying a ferrari and then hanging furry dice off the mirror. Do yourself a favour and get a decent hardware modem, or an external modem, which would rid you of your problem. No offence intended, but i've just had soooooo much trouble with Winmodems...
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

I had an LT Winmodem that had an Unknown Device listing under Windows 98 and I later found it to be Wave Device for Modem. Windows 2000 autodetected everything fine for me though.

<a href="http://www.modemhelp.org" target="_blank">http://www.modemhelp.org</a>
    I just remembered this site. Hope you can find something here to help.

The mysterious other device could be one of two things.Either the modem sound device driver which w`ont stop the modem working or if memmory serves a WDM [?] device driver installed with virtual modem devices [winmodems].
    But either way you should be able to query the modem under "properties" on the "diagnostics" page.
    It does sound like either the modem is faulty or you have an incorrect driver installed.

Addendum:
    Found this if its of interest for you,
    Modem Chipsets: Agere/Lucent Apollo/Mars 56k modem chipset driver version table
    <a href="http://www.vee90.net/chipsets_lucent_drivertable.html" target="_blank">http://www.vee90.net/chipsets_lucent_drivertable.html</a>
    Version 8.17 11.28.2001 WinXP driver available from Microsoft Windows Update under manufacturer *****. Unsure if this could be used as a generic driver update.

Thanks for all the replys. I can't get my hands on the machine until monday morning. I'll let you know what happens.

I agree Orange. I'm just building it the way the customer specified. I hate winmodems too. If I can't get the winmodem working then I can alway go to a better modem as a solution to the problem.

It is a nice system. I really like the mobo.

Thanks again everybody.

[quote]Originally posted by jimmm33:
    <strong>I agree Orange. I'm just building it the way the customer specified. I hate winmodems too. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Phew! Thought maybe you were turning to the dark side for a moment there Jimmm33 Seriously though, i think said customer could do with a little guidance here - you just know you're in for a whole load of trouble further on down the line (j/k!) with this winmodem. Another couple of bucks for a decent modem and an easy life!
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

I ended up useing a 3com PCI hardware modem.

I never did find out why the LT winmodem wouldn't work. I tried everything that was posted, but no luck.

Thanks again for the replys.

[quote]Originally posted by orange:
    <strong>You've got a real nice system there, and then you've got a horrible Winmodem in it!??! Its like buying a ferrari and then hanging furry dice off the mirror. Do yourself a favour and get a decent hardware modem, or an external modem, which would rid you of your problem. No offence intended, but i've just had soooooo much trouble with Winmodems...</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree 1000% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "We have assumed control"