Networking Problem

Thread: Networking Problem

Post Networking Problem

Hey guys, I have this customer with this Brand New DELL Inspiron 2500 with Windows 2000 Pro on it. I am thinking that assimilating it into his current windows 98 peer to peer network will be simple, well I guess I am WRONG. I cannot get the os to see any other computers on the lan, but I can ping them from the command prompt. I cannot even resolve them by typing their IP addresses into the search bar. Here is what may be the problem... They have dsl internet, and the TCP/IP protocol bound to their nic is like 192.16.3.x with 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask. Here is what is also weird, the other workstations can see the laptop and even transfer files back and forth, but the laptop refuses to see any of the other workstations! I got the lap top connected to the dsl connection, which is on the lan, I don't understand this, I hope somebody can help quick, I have got to have this working by morning! Thanks in advance, matt.

On the 2k system, you'll need to install the ipx/spx protocols(1 choice.. it installs 2). on the 98, install the same protocols, and under the properties of the protocol, check off "enable netbuis over IPX/SPX"

Should do it for ya
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

The 2k computer can't see anybody.... hmmm. This is a little bit different problem then what I had with my inspiron 2500 and this one network. Anyways what it ended up being was that I could not run the network card at full duplex 100mbps (auto) so I had to manually reduce the speed to 10mbps full duplex and the thing worked like a charm. Is it by chance the combo nic/modem that is in the system?
    "I feel like one of those mass murderers on death row. I never understood how the hell they got more chicks than I did. Now I know. They sold crap on eBay." -- Anonymous ebayer

"I figured out what's wrong with life: it's other people." -- Dilbert

Make sure they all have the same workgroup name. If each PC has a different workgroup name, then in essence, each PC is it's own workgroup network. Anyway, I don't want to confuse you with all this, but just make sure all workgroup names are the same and that oughta fix the problem.
    Hello World

You could install either netbeui or ipx on all the computers. I used netbeui myself when I installed a 2000 machine in a NT domain with 98 clients.

if you aren't sharing anything from a machine (drives or printers) then it won't show up in network neighborhood on the other machines.

also yes, try backing to 10Mb, half duplex.

IPX should only be installed if you are going to run games that require it or if you are needing to access and Novell server/network.

NetBEUI should solve your problem here.
    L

Welcome to four more years of the most dangerous presidency in history.

Isn't netbuei a noisy little bugger on the network? Is that the best resolve?

Exclamation

[quote]Originally posted by KINGofBLEH:
    <strong>IPX should only be installed if you are going to run games that require it or if you are needing to access and Novell server/network.

NetBEUI should solve your problem here.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Unless you're sharing an internet connection, IPX/SPX is a lot of times faster and more secure. The only advantages TCP/IP has is for internet applications. Just sharing files is better for IPX/SPX IMHO
    Quantum Mechanics: The dreams stuff is made of

Thanks guys for all of the feedback, I finally got it going, here is what I did... I removed all of the networking protocals and services on the 2000 laptop and the 98 desktop. I only reinstalled client for microsoft networks and tcp/ip on the 98 machine and client for microsoft networks, tcp/ip, and ipx/spx on the 2000 laptop. They are now seeing each other but my new problem is that I cannot get the dsl internet connection to work on the laptop. Maybe I will figure that one out! Thanks again!