[RESOLVED] CNR

Thread: [RESOLVED] CNR

injuredperson

Resolved [RESOLVED] CNR

just got 3 motherboards and they have a small slot at end of pci slots what is these used for thanks

Taking up otherwise useless space with an otherwise useless slot. Bwa ha ha!

It stands for COmmunication and Networking riser....it's a spin-off of the AMR slot. It supports nearly hardware-less riser cards for communications (modems) and networking (lan) cards. However, the support for the device must be present in the chipset.

Now, here's the fun part: I've seen onle one or two of these devices around for these slots (which use the CPU, rather than their own hardware, keep in mind) and they're usually MORE EXPENSIVE then comparable PCI devices (which run better, because they always have at least SOME hardware on them).

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

tk421

why do mobo manuf's waste time and money and space trying to implement useless technology like that? as if modems and network cards aren't available at low enough prices.

seems ridiculous.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

Darren Wilson

Because they use less resources than a standard PCI arrangement. Most chipsets tha utilise a CNR slot have the full support built into them. AMR & CNR (in the UK) are a lot cheaper than the seperate PCI solution (Winmodems included). I have used AMR modems as a relatively successful solution for Office machines, but if you want to use it at home then I would say go for the seperate solution.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS