[RESOLVED] EPoX MVP3-G2 mobo and Stealth III S540

Thread: [RESOLVED] EPoX MVP3-G2 mobo and Stealth III S540

ChunkySoup

Post EPoX MVP3-G2 mobo and Stealth III S540

I recently upgraded to a MPV3-G2 motherboard and AMD k6-2 500 processor. I put my Stealth III S540 PCI video card in it and i'm having quite a few problems with it. I think its some sort of confict. Windows and most apps work fine, but when i try to play a video file in either Quicktime4 or Windows Media Player 6.4 using video acceleration i get an "out of frequency range" problem and the screen goes blank. I installed the VIA IRQ patch, and all the other patches/updates. I'm a little frustrated here. If anyone can help it would be extremly appreciated.

Out of frequency range usually means you are trying to push out too much to the monitor. Try setting your screen size a little lower. I'm not sure what the refesh rates your monitor can handle, but you need to check the monitor refresh rate against the video refresh rate. Pushing too much can fry the monitor.

Good Luck,

Charlie
    "Oh Bother," said Pooh, as Windows crashed for the umpteenth time.

ChunkySoup

Exclamation

I would try that, but i had my video card in my old computer and it worked just fine with my old motherboard. I don't think its a monitor/videocard problem, i think its a videocard/motherboard problem.

DiamondTech2

Thumbs up

Do all other apps work except these 2? Like 3d games and such? This card does not actually require an IRQ so you can disable that in the bios. Also my guess is is that's it a driver problem. I have seen that before. I would suggest getting the new Savage 4 drivers from s3.com. They fix a lot of issues with this card. The Diamond drivers will be out soon, but until then, check the Savage 4 drivers out.

Also Try setting it to a refresh rate of 60. Just to see. And make sure the monitor is defined properly. (it has to be or you cannot set custom refresh rates.) Also check your bios for these settings:

PCI bursting-disable
    Video BIOS shadowing-disable
    Video BIOS cahcing-disable
    PCI latency timer-128

ChunkySoup

Thumbs up

Yeah, the S3 drivers work better, but still not at 100%. I can use partial hardware acceration with Media player now, but still get occational crashes. Thanks alot DiamondTech2! When you said the drivers won't be out for a little while, do you happen to have a general timeframe? I understand you might not know or might be hesitent to answer, but crashes (no matter now frequent/infrequent) are pretty frustrating...and a timeframe of when that problem will be potentially eliviated will put more at ease. I set the bios settings you suggested (i had been pretty sure my Stealth III didn't require an IRQ since my Stealth II didn't) but that didn't do anything additional that the S3 drivers did. Thanks for your help though.

DiamondTech2

I cannot give a timeframe. Whenever I say it always seems to get pushed back. Drop me an e-mail @ [email protected] and i'll let you know when I know for sure. And I'll also send you the "Basic Guide" To stealth troubleshooting. Most of the time these kinds of things can be fixed.