[RESOLVED] 22 par io error on laserjet 4+ on gateway pc

Thread: [RESOLVED] 22 par io error on laserjet 4+ on gateway pc

stocks101

Resolved [RESOLVED] 22 par io error on laserjet 4+ on gateway pc

get 22 io par on hp jet 4+ on gateway pc when print from windows. works ok in dos. changed cable set lpt port to norm in bios and turned off bi-directional setting in config, turned off adv and hi speed func on printer. still error. Anybody help please.... Thanks Stocks

Here's what the book says:

Description: The computer and printer are not communicating because of improper signal protocols. This is an I/O buffer overrun error.

Recommended Action: This can mean a loose cable connection; check for loose cable.

If you are using an I/O card other than the standard Bi-Tronics parallel I/O card supplied with the printer, refer to the manual for that device or contact your dealer. If you are on a network contact your network administrator.

So there you have it. If your running a network card in the printer try pinging the card. If you running a jet direct print server try pinging the port.

hmm i just seen that your running a parallel cable(?) you might want to get into the menu area of the printer and check to see if it's set for parallel and not auto. also if there's a card in the printer you may want to pull it

good luck.
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

Exclamation

Since the error refers to an IO Buffer Overrun, I was also able to find the following info in the Combined Service Manual for the LaserJets 4/4M/4 Plus/4M Plus:

"IO buffering allows the user to allocate printer memory to hold the job while it prints, freeing up the host system sooner, like a print spooler. The standard printer has approximately 10 KB of memory allocated to IO buffering and an additional 100 KB of memory is assigned to IO buffering for each MB of memory added to the printer.

If the printer has a minimum of 6MB of memory installed (12 MB of memory for a printer with a duplex option), the IO buffer size can also be adjusted from the control panel. Three settings exist for the IO buffer; AUTO (default), ON and OFF. AUTO sets the printer's IO buffer to a minimum value that is determined by the total amount of memory that is resident in the printer. Setting IO buffering to ON allows the user to set the IO buffer size from the front panel. Setting the IO buffering to OFF disables IO buffering."

How much memory do you have in that printer? Print a Self Test from the front panel...it should tell you the amount of installed RAM. On that printout, there is a section for IO Buffering...if the printer does not have enough memory installed to enable IO Buffering or Resource Savings, the amount of additional memory needed appears there.

In the Parallel Menu, the default setting for High Speed Parallel IO is YES.

The Advanced Functions feature enables bi-directional communications...the default setting is ON.

Also, go here for the <a href="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/lj4pl_swen.html?Submit.x=8&Submit.y=12" target="_blank">latest drivers from HP</a>.

One more thing, I would go into your BIOS and set the LPT (parallel) port to ECP.

Let us know how it goes...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!