[RESOLVED] Stuck at "Checking NVRAM" (AMIBIOS)

Thread: [RESOLVED] Stuck at "Checking NVRAM" (AMIBIOS)

Chris C

Angry Stuck at "Checking NVRAM" (AMIBIOS)

I added a CDROM drive to my PC, and now it doesn't want to boot anymore, even if returned to ot's original state. Is it stuffed now?

Did you completely unhook the CD from the controller cable? If you did and the system boots, you've got a jumper problem (Slave vs Master). If it still doesn't, try disabling the secondary IDE controller (assuming your main HD is on the first) and see if it boots. If it does, and there was nothing left attached to the secondary anyway, chances are the #2 IDE controller is bad..... Good Luck!
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

b_fleury

Go into the bios and load defaults and see if it boots. It's a long shot, but slightly possible.

Bill

Chris C

That's just the point, Bill, how do I get into the BIOS, it doesn't boot that far

Chris

Lightbulb

Try unhooking all ide cables and see if it will go pats the NVRAM check and give a boot device failure. If it won't, maybe you dropped a screw?
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

Tech A+ cert

Cool

Disconnect all cables, Floppy Drive IDE Check the Memory SDRAM make sure all DIMMS are in place.
    Go to CMOS settings.
    Go to STANDARD SETTINGS
    SET All to AUTO
    DETECT ALL IDE DRIVES.
    HIT SKIP FOR CD ROM
    SAVE AND EXIT.

Chris C

Talking

I tried that without success. Luckily we have some identical PCs, we bought a blank BIOS chip, read one of the working chips, and programmed the blank one. That worked.
    Thanks to all who replied - it is a comforting to know one can find help this quickly !!