[RESOLVED] Expert or Not - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: [RESOLVED] Expert or Not

Talking

Hey Pops , You will never know everything about computers, I have been tinkering with computers for only 4 years and I have learned much,( A+ cert and still learning ) I still have lots to learn and I keep an open mind when a problem comes up
    Your experience is a lot greater than mine since you have worked with computers for 19 years , I may be asking you for wisdom some time
    Just don't sell yourself short or put your self down OK
    I have been told the same thing by my friends , They know I can fix a PC and if I am stuck I hit Windrivers forums and maybe post a question about the problem , Lots of wisdom here, I have learned a lot here, I like to read through the forums and pick off the Windows tips etc.
    Well all the best to ya
    Format c I'm givin er all she's got cap'in !!! )

I totally agree with everything written in this thread as well. I think it's impossible to describe anyone as a "computer expert". It's far to vague of a term. To me a computer is a tool box that holds infinite amounts of tools. Nobody could possibly know everything about all the tools. So just learn enough to put yourself a level above an average user, and then let your problem solving skills do the rest. BTW, I just wanted to add that something has been bothering me today with a new top secret project I'm working on, and this thread made me feel a bit better about it. So I just wanted to say thanks to all the constructive comments posted.
    Hello World

My signature says it all.
    What I know about computers would fill volumes - what I don't know would fill a wharehouse.

Solkanar

I like to think I know what I'm doing. I think I'm a pretty good tech. But sometimes you get those days where you realize you are so far from an "expert" and you have to go and upgrade a part on your pc to make yourself remember that you do know at least a few techie things. I bet you're just like me pops. (little older maybe)

Gaining this status is something that you can't really do yourself.

It's when others come to you as the guru - that's when you're the expert!

Kenny P.

tempdir

Why not come up with a new slogan and let word of mouth proclaim you as an expert.

Experience should go some where in smaller print.

Nobody is a complete expert when it comes to computers. Once you realize that, you become a better tech.
    "I don't think necessity is the mother of invention--invention...arises directly from idleness, possibly also from laziness. To save oneself trouble." -Unknown

jdmba

To be an expert? I would say, have your first computer be an Apple or TRS-80 where the only thing you can really do is learn to program and where updates to your hardware involve a soldering iron. Once you have gone through that, then continue using computers (meaning, IBM's, as MACs are a bit too protective of their underbelly) --- but at that point things will become zenlike in that all programs run the same, use the same potential keystrokes for each item, etc. Once you have soldered in a lower case modification to your Model I TRS-80, swapping out a motherboard or finding a bad RAM DIMM is nothing.

I think experts are getting harder to find. Many parents are so proud of littly Johnny for using the computer. Little Johnny is plaing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and surfing the net. Little Johnny doesn't know a thing about computers and probably will not truly master them.

Just my 2 cents.

I've been working on and with computers for 6 years. I never once considered myself an expert or even half knowledgable about computers. There is something I learn everytime. Besides, if I thought I was an expert, I sure as hell wouldn't be coming here trying to find answers to any problems I encounter!!

However, I have met techs, at work and a few here(GASP!), that think they know everything.

My mother once had a poster in her classroom that said "The more I learn, the more I find I need to learn." Trust me, there is always something to learn, always something more to know. Although I'd consider a lot of people here "Experts", a lot of them won't consider themselves the same. You can never know everything, all you can do is your best, and continue to learn. That's part of the fun in life. Being able to say "Gee, if I just knew that a month ago..."

Wink

"Not an expert...just a helping hand"

I think that is a great way to promote yourself to prospective clients. Considering most people who are seeking the services of an "Expert" arent neccessarily technically proficient themselves- just everyday people with a problem they dont understand- I think that is a very non-intimidating way to attract customers. From my experience, most people just want someone who will talk to them at their level of understanding, who is confident in their abilities, and can be the "helping hand" they so desperately need to fix the problem. Im sure everyone here has something they do in this field they feel the most comfortable tackling, whether it be hardware, software, networking, etc... and other things they may be familiar with, but not enough so to feel an "expert" at, myself included. The more I study and work in this field just makes me realize how many different directions you can branch off and have to learn new tasks every day. Thats no way to look at your accomplishments though, or that mountian of knowledge you "want" to know will go so far up into the clouds that you will never see the summit. Instead, look behind you at all of the achievements you have made on a day-to-day basis over the years, and you will realize how far up you have managed to climb that mountian without knowing it!
    (insert inspirational music building to a cresendo...)
    Live long, die rich, leave a 20yo widow...

Funny Pops,
    I was just going to post something similar here when I saw your thread.

Anyway I agree with everyone here. The thing with me is that working as a field tech my job takes me to many a different client every day. For example, yesterday I was working on taking an "inventory" of computer items with model and S/N for one client. I finished that and then went strait to a law firm to work with a problem with WordPerfect Office that kept "crashing". Next I was working on MS Office XP issues. Then I was working with a problem with Veritas Backup Exec 8.0 with an Exabyte EZ-17 tape library. Then working on an IBM Netfinity 5500 that had a Windows NT 4.0 issue... And today I played network administrator for a client for half a day working on standard admin stuff in a mixed NT/UNIX/MAC enviornment!

The thing that gets me is that in one day I have to "jump" to so many different types of "computer repair", not to mention that almost all of my "formal" training is in the "Infrastructure" area. When it comes to things like WordPerfect I'm just taking guesses and using my past experience with PC software as a whole to guide me! I just wish that I could stay in one "area" long enough to really learn it good and not hop around.

Does anyone else feel my pain????

JKSteger
    I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones.
    John Cage (1912-1992)

Cool

The humility is really showing friends. You don't need to think of yourself as an expert. The people you work "wonders" for will label you an expert. It must be a "tech" thing to be so humble about your abilities as a tech ( I'm the same way, just in case anyone thought this was a flame ). Most of us have spent years learning about, working with, repairing, and upgrading computers. Unfortunately, the industry is always changing. I think that's why we don't like to be labeled experts. There is always going to be something new to learn. However, I do believe in my abilities to solve a problem when it comes to computers. And as such, when can someone actually be considered an expert? To the people that don't do this for a living, who are amazed by the relative ease with which we can fix things, we are experts in our field. I don't think we should define an expert as someone who knows everything. Rather, it should be defined by those you do the work for.
    /rant off

Good post Hippie_Tech, lotta truth there.

Also, I just noticed the quote in your sig space, happens to be one of my favorite movie quotes.
    I have a .wav file of it somewhere.....unless I lost it in my wipe over the summer.

-Danyll
    Danyll

If we live in an insane world, how can I be normal if I'm sane?
    "I'm reminded of the immortal words of Socrates who said-'I drank what?'"-Val Kilmer (Real Genius)