Handshake on Modem but unable to establish connection
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Handshake on Modem but unable to establish connection

Post Handshake on Modem but unable to establish connection

Hi guys and gals,

Customer called and said modem won't connect. Said fine bring it in. Tried it, does the 'hand shake' but right after trying to verify the username and password, it says can't establish a connection. I tried my password, does the same. I replaced the modem with two different ones, same problem.

Removed all protocols and reinstalled again.
    Extracted a new copy of all winsock files and replaced the old ones. Even upgraded IE5 to IE 5.5 but no go. Any suggestions?

------------------
    Proud Member of the Windrivers Team
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

Internal or external (USB or serial) modem?

------------------
    ======
    orange
    ======
    orange

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning -+- Rich Cook

Sorry, it is a Creative Modem Blaster ISA. (Less than a year old).

My personal thought is that it is not the modem since I tried the two other modems (different brands).

I have sold a lot of these Creative Modems and never (literally) never had a problem. I like the stability and compatibility of the old ISA architecture. (Call me old school)

------------------

you didn't mention the OS but if it's 98SE hit the MS site for a newer version of DUN

------------------
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"
    "no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn"

I tried going to the MS website using support.microsoft.com as well as corporate.windowsupdate.microsoft.com but still was unable to find a version of DUN.

Can anyone point me to the right link?

Thanks in advance.

------------------

La Soleil

This may sound obvious, but make sure you've got "Dial-up Adapter" showing in your network properties.

[This message has been edited by La Soleil (edited September 29, 2001).]

gmiller220

Go here and select the version you need.

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

Tried the DUN idea, but that didn't work. There is a handshake, it gets to verify username and password, and then it either just sits there for ever, or disconnects and tells me that it was unable to establish a connection.

I am running Norton's virusscan on it to be on the safe side.

Any other ideas guys? I really appreciate all your help.

------------------

try lowering the modem connection speed
    try lowering the transmit and receive buffers
    make sure client for microsoft networks is installed and dialup adapter are installed, I'm sure you've already checked it....just going with things off the top of my head...
    #3 1951-2001

gmiller220

Does it ever verify the password and username? If not make sure you got the right one. Also some passwords might be case sensitive. Make sure you follow your ISP's instructions to a tee. Sometimes it's something that doesn't make any sense but it works. *sigh* don't you just love computers?

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

FYI: Just to be on the safe side, I ran Norton AV on her harddrive. No virus or anything malicious. I did notice drvspace.bin on her harddrive. Then I noticed she had compressed her harddrive. IT is a freaking 30GIG harddrive. Who the hell compressed a 30Gig HDD????????????

Lusers....

Short of reloading win98 on their, any other suggestions. TIA

------------------

celeste9519

Shoot the user????

Sorry I'm a little sarcastic today. It sounds like an ISP problem. Either the username / password is having issues or you could be having problems with the authenticating device on the other end. I'm pretty sure that if you send a good logon to the authenticating server and the server never responds you could get a disconnected notice.
    I have also run into problems where the modem was trying to transfer faster than the other side could receive. Turning the connection speed down works in Win98, NT but something to do with Win2k "optimization" over rides a manual connection setting...
    Good Luck!

------------------
    The truth is out there, you just need to decrypt it.

tempdir

I hate diagnosing modems, I'll try to help

Install Hypertermnal.
    Setup a connection but cancel it. right before it will dial the required phone number.

you should be at a terminal emulation window.

type atz <enter>
    you should get an Ok
    If you get the Ok then try ati9
    replacing 9 with numbers 1 through 9 to check the modems firmware. (Some modems have more numbers.)

If that all goes well and you got phone 2 lines. try ata1 <enter> then setup another modem on another computer to call that machine to see if it connects.

If I rambled or was no help or was wrong, then oh well.

F-disk Reboot Format C: setup Windows

snappyone2u

Thumbs up

If you have removed and re-installed the dial up adapter, Client and TCP/IP Ran regclean at least 3 times,on the registry and still have issues, the registry may be corrupted, 98 you can run scanreg and that may fix it however; my expierience is at this point to "BLOW" off the OS after backing up all data and settings.
    "God Bless America"
    Remember the Fallen!

[This message has been edited by snappyone2u (edited October 02, 2001).]

Heres some thing you can try, since the router firmware could of been updated it may be unable to connect now. go into the dun folder and hit the properties for the connection, and click on the configure button. where it says max speed, if its set to 115200 set it to 9600 (which disables compression) if it connects try setting the speed to 57600. If it connects at 9600 but unable to when you set it to 57600 update the drive and firmware for the modem. A initialization string is a thing of the past, but may be required. call your ISP to find out what type of digital modems they have at their end and the version of the firmware. If you need any other assistance feel free to email me [email protected]

------------------
    Luke, OBGYN Kanobi is the only one!!
    Luke, OBGYN Kanobi is the only one!!