[RESOLVED] sound card taking irq9, agp card taking irq5

Thread: [RESOLVED] sound card taking irq9, agp card taking irq5

corey tracey

Post sound card taking irq9, agp card taking irq5

Rebuilt my fic 503+ via mvp3 mb with win 98, viper 550 agp, sb awe64 isa and pc modem. everything works fine except the sb.

I can't play any games with sound. No sound comes out. I can play wav, mid and cd music fine.

The one thing that I noticed was weird is that my agp card took irq5 and the sb card took irq9. I have always seem sound cards on irq5, maybe 7, but not 9. I read that irq9 should be reserved for the system. I think my problem lies in the fact that some of these games(basic games for kids, like Jumpstart Pre-k and need for speed) default to irq5 for sound.

Do I just removed the sb card, video card from device manager and reboot? someone mentioned to me about reserving/disabling irq5 for the sb card?

thanks for any input

Darren Wilson

are these DOS games??

if so , edit the autoexec.bat and look for the line that starts ' SET BLASTER= '. Then change the 'I' value so it reads 'I5'. You should then be able to utilise IRQ 5 in the games.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

corey tracey

These are all window compatible games(3.1, 9x) games. I tried to install sb dos support but it wouldn't allow me, saying that it can't install support on Windows 9x. I tried to add entries to config.sys and autoexec.bat but I was unsuccessful. These two files were blank anyway.

corey tracey

Talking

figured it out. Had to assign irq5 to "legacy isa", disable irq routing and then remove install agp card. agp card then took irq4 (I disabled both serial ports in bios)

now everything works and my son is happy.

thank for letting me bounce my problems off everyone.

corey