networking help.

Thread: networking help.

Post networking help.

greetings all. Im stumpted.

situation:

3 computer network, configured as a domain using netBOUI

1 system (win 98) is having/causing problems. It can see the other 2 but not itself. the other systems cant see it. (no one can see the 98 system)

The system and etup a conetion to a shared printer, but cannot use it. The other 2 (95 and NT server) have no problems with the printer.

I have tested the cabling, the NIC, reinstalled MS networking fro the ground up, checked and re-checked protocals. and reconfigured I/O, IRQ settings untold numbers of times. Have chagned the network lay out so that all systmes are in the same work group/domain. have added all systems to the domain in NT server. No change, the system just will not perfome correclty.

Any takers??

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

Manicheya

Did you check something simple as turning on file and print sharing and THEN actually setting the printer or a folder to shared?

why not ditch netbeui, and set it up with TCP/IP, or even the quick and dirty IPX/SPX

tcp/ip is far easier, and has the potential to allow internet access...

Are you using NetBEUI or NetBios? Make sure all machines are using NetBEUI - and set only one to Browse Master. You could enable IPX/SPX for ease of use if you do not need internet otherwise setup tcp/ip as follows (no internet, or proxy server installed)

IP Address:
    #1 198.198.198.10
    Subnet: 255.255.255.0

#2 198.198.198.11

#3 198.198.198.12

Set the gateway to the router/proxy server.

If you use IPX/SPX set the Protocol to 802.3

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

Sparky625

Thumbs up

My vote goes to sharing something and seeing what happens. Next step is using something more/other than NetBEUI.

------------------
    Thank you for calling the support desk! How may I disconnect you today?

Come on people, what is wrong with NetBEUI on a 3 computer network. It is going to be faster than any other protocol on a small network. I would agree with checking out shres to see if they work, also making sure file and print sharing is checked and possibly mapping an LPT port to the shared printer and see where that gets ya. Also, download the latest drivers for that printer. What is the problem you are having with the printer? Can you see it in network neighborhood? Can you set it up on the Win98 computer? Does it just not print or does it print trash?

------------------
    Soylent Green is People!!!! Its made of People!!!!!
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

well now it gets intesting. Having retore 2/3 of the network to operability, the entire thing has now failed. No system other than the local host can use the printer. this was the stuation when i started on this project, but i movet he printer to the other functional unit to get around it. as to using TCP/IP Why?? so much overhead for a small network! it seems like their are seriour brows problems here, and that is what i will look into, as well ast psoibly replacing all cable, as it may be related. (lost everything after power fluctiuations, but everything is prtected, but???)

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rejection Man:
    1 system (win 98) is having/causing problems. It can see the other 2 but not itself. the other systems cant see it. (no one can see the 98 system)

The system and etup a conetion to a shared printer, but cannot use it. The other 2 (95 and NT server) have no problems with the printer.

I have tested the cabling, the NIC, reinstalled MS networking fro the ground up, checked and re-checked protocals. and reconfigured I/O, IRQ settings untold numbers of times. Have chagned the network lay out so that all systmes are in the same work group/domain. have added all systems to the domain in NT server. No change, the system just will not perfome correclty.

Any takers??

</font>
    I have few questions to You.
    Fisrt of all what type of NIC are You using?
    What type of connection - BNC or UTP through HUB?

Make sure, what all NICs uses exactly same
    frame type (either 802.2 or 802.3) and same connector type.Use low-level test utility,what comes with NICs, and test NICs (NICs itself,initiator-responder (transmit/receive)tests an so on. Usually it's works only in clear DOS mode.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

Yeah, after reading power problems, my first though was "BNC? Check the terminators." Next thought? Replace NIC's, one (or more) might have been damaged by the power surge.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Wink

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sowulo:
    Yeah, after reading power problems, my first though was "BNC?" </font>
    Me too.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thirdfey:
    Come on people, what is wrong with NetBEUI on a 3 computer network. </font>
    NetBeui sucks, it cant do internet traffic, has problems connecting to other machines (see example A above)
    TCP/IP is much more reliable and flexable.

BTW - use 192.168.xxx.xxx for your IP addresses, these are private, the ones listed above are not.
    subnet mask can be 255.255.0.0 or 255.255.255.0 (or like mine 255.255.255.248)
    with three systems mine will work also

Okay now it is getting worse, let's start over:

1. Cabling type: UTP or BNC. (BNC) Termination good? (UTP) Link lights on the Hub?

2. What type of NIC?

3. The computers belong to a Domain?

4. What protocol are you using:
    a. TCP/IP: What are the settings?
    b. IPX/SPX: Set frame type to 802.3
    c. NetBeui: set none to browse master
    d. Enabled NetBios over IPX?

5. Please list settings and troubleshooting steps taken for each machine, as well as what does and does not work - as I have now lost track.

Thanks, hope we can help.

------------------

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

found it! The damn win 95 machine thougth it should be the master browser and was causing bradcast storms.

removed all extra protoclas, TCP/IP, IPX. fixed it right up. all happy now.

------------------