[RESOLVED] Connect to network, but not Internet
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Connect to network, but not Internet

tk421

Resolved [RESOLVED] Connect to network, but not Internet

I have this computer that I'm working on, and it refuses to get out to the Internet. I can put it on our network, and it obtains an IP address automatically from our router, which connects us also to the internet. Using this computer, I can go where ever I want on the network. But I can't get out to the Internet.

I have verified the settings in the router. ipconfig /all on the machine turns up ok. Tried a new NIC. Ran system file checker. Ran NAV2001 with latest definitions. It's a Win98 machine. I can't figure out what's going on. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

ad3p4

What about the Default Gateway setting under TCP/IP?

------------------
    "Expect the unexpected"
    ------------------

tk421

It is set to DHCP. so it obtains the gateway automatically.

I have since given it static IP properties. IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS are all static now. I gave the IP address and the corresponding MAC address access within the router (it's a netgear FR-314 firewall/router). Again, i can access the network, but I cannot get to the internet, nor the router. I can't even get to the router via a telnet session.

thanks.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

mlowe

Make sure that your default Gateway is assigned and make sure that you have the appropriate DNS Servers assigned.

To verify what the problem is, click here: http://207.46.230.218

If you can connect to that from the Win98 box, then it CAN connect to the internet just fine, it just can't resolve any names from DNS. Check your DNS settings.

------------------
    Matt
    AKA ShadowKing
    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

tk421

it can't even ping the dns servers (the same ones that I am currently using). tried connecting to sites by their IP address, and that doesn't work either.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

mlowe

Ooops.

We may have posted at the same time.

Check to see that TCP/IP is the only protocol you have installed. You may be accessing the network on another protocol, and of course you can't hit the web with IPX or Netbeui.

Also see if you can hit an intranet site, or any web page on another box on your network.

------------------
    Matt
    AKA ShadowKing
    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe."

tk421

I totally cleaned out the network properties. Only have

Client for MS Networks
    3Com 3c905
    TCP/IP

Don't have any intranet webs set up, so can't really try that.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

MacGyver

DNS servers don't ordinarily respond to pings, so don't use that as an indication of whether they're working or not. If in doubt, contact the operator of the DNS server (your ISP for example)

------------------
    I help others in the name of my Lord, Jesus Christ.

tk421

well, I can ping my dns servers from my computer. I have tried pinging other internet sites: they work fine from my computer, nothing from the other computer.

I'm past the point of looking at configuration. I'm pretty confident this is some sort of software issue. I would just like to find and fix the issue, rather than having to do a format and reload.

(btw, I have already reloaded the OS on top of itself.)

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

jrwilson

are you using @home as your provider? If you are then you may want to test the MAC spoofing capability of your router. Rumor is (I cant get a straight answer from comcast)that Comcast tracks MAC addresses. My Linksys has the ability to change its visible MAC. Take the MAC from the working workstation and plug it into the router. The other option of course is to use ICS or some other connection sharing program.

------------------
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

tk421

nope, using pacbell business dsl.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

jrwilson

COuld still be a related issue...does your DSL provider issue static addresses or DHCP?
    is it VPN based (i.e. WinPoet?)

------------------
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

tk421

They issue static addresses. Though we only use one. It is used by our router/firewall. The router acts as our dhcp server and gateway to the internet. As I said, all the machines are able to get access to the network, and they are all served IP addresses from the dhcp server (router).

However, this one computer cannot get out to the internet, even though it is served its ip info, and it can access the network.

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

gmiller220

Try uninstalling the NIC and let windows pick it up on a reboot. Also check your bindings. I've had systems where it says it's bound but the only thing you can do to get it to work is to uninstall everything and then reinstall it all. (Everything Network that is)

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

tk421

yes, I did try that in fact.

Well, in the end the customer was pushing me to get it finished, so I just did a format and reload. it worked straight away after that. obviously some kind of foulness in the system files. But I guess I'll never know what exactly went wrong.

thanks for all your input. -tim

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell