[RESOLVED] HP Pavilion

Thread: [RESOLVED] HP Pavilion

gmiller220

Resolved [RESOLVED] HP Pavilion

Hey all I have a customer that has an HP Pavillion that he says when it goes into Standby or Hibernate Mode it will freeze the system and he'll have to do a hard reboot. Anybody out there have any input?

Another thought. If I were to do a clean install of WinME (it is currently running what came with the system) would that affect anything you think? Also could it be overheating? Need input. Thanks.

------------------
    Boy, I'm tired of being right.

jay015

Lightbulb

Make sure you have the latest bios installed & any power management software particular for that model.

IT Len

Go to www.support.microsoft.com and under ME, search "hibernate" and "standby." There are numerous issues concerning the inability to return from hibernation, mostly having to do with hdwe/sftwe conflicts. Make sure you have a good idea about what devices and apps are in the machine.

Experiencing the same problem a year ago on one of our HP systems, turned out it was the Iomega application. Apparently, it had to be removed from startup [which we normally do anyway, but neglected.]

If it is one of the above mentioned problems, if the machine is going to remain in its current configuration, I don't think a reinstall will help,...but, it might...and reinstalls have done us all some miracles!

------------------
    "How stange it is that men are so rash as to dare to reprehend what they cannot possibly comprehend!" St. Bernard

[This message has been edited by IT Len (edited September 26, 2001).]

gmiller220

Could it be McAfee virus scan? I dont like mcafee and have had nothing but trouble. I'll look into it thanks for the info.

------------------

PSJ

Hello Everyone, Use the run command and type msconfig, then choose the start up tab, then look for LoadPowerProfile, put a check into the box and then click apply, then restart. Hope this helps! PSJ

dlagace

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by PSJ:
    Hello Everyone, Use the run command and type msconfig, then choose the start up tab, then look for LoadPowerProfile, put a check into the box and then click apply, then restart. Hope this helps! PSJ</font>
    By default that should be already checked but check if you will.

------------------
    "What works for One person May not work for Another"
    God Is My Judge
    dLagace=DANIMAL

Vette2000

I hate a computers sleep mode. Some work fine with most don't. Just an example if a computer goes to sleep with Internet Explorer running and all the other little programs running in the background as well using 60% of the resources then sleep mode hits using 50% resources - 110% resources used equals instant lock-up. Use msconfig to do away with some of the background programs. The worst offender on a Pavillion is the one (I can't remember the exact name) that searches for internet updates for that computer while you are online. Real Player and Real Jukebox are also hogs. About half of the programs under msconfig can be unchecked either because they are duplicated or the owner can simply start the program by using the icon. This will also make for a faster booting machine.

Hope this helps....It's helped me solve many of these.

mpiper

As a proud HP owner, I can provide some input. As for the hibernate lockup, there is no real fix other than to disable hibernate and leave the thing running. And the name of the internet update program is "updates by HP" It is a resource hog!

------------------
    "We live in a society dependent on science and technology yet most of us have no grasp of the true capacity of science and technology" Carl Sagan

black_mage

i agree with the earlier posts... just update the software for the HP and teh windows ME... that should do the trick.

if you want, you could reload windows ME on top of itself.. it wont erase any files or drivers... it will just give windows a fresh load.

gmiller220

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm gonna try this stuff out.

------------------

Shut off the sleep mode...let it run. Your not saving that much power, and stopping and spinning up the hard drive constantly is hard on it. If your going to use it off and on all day leave it on. If your going to be away from it for an extended period of time, turn it off. If its critical that it be on all the time, put a good UPS on it. If its Windows 95, 98, or ME it needs rebooted once a day anyway.

SilverSable

I agree with those who say turn it off.
    I had the same prob. with Win ME standby. Just turn off stand by.

Exclamation

You might want to read up on what HP says about "General Suggestions for Computer Lock-Ups:" http://www.hp.com/cposupport/persona...tml#P130_12040

Let us know how it goes...
    DonJ

------------------
    "Don't Mess with Texas!" --The Dubya
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

gmiller220

I'll check them out. The reason why I want to use standbye is because the computer will be in use and the guy will walk away from it and not go back sometimes for a day or two (guys home computer)

------------------

windowscrash

Arrow

Why dosen't he just shut down the computer when he is not using it?

My HP Pavilion 8715 loads (or used to) load vry quickly, but it takes years for the BIOS to finish now I have 384mb ram...

------------------
    This signature cannot be shown due to restrictions on this Board. Please contact your System Administrator