Gateway drops AMD. Micron to buy AMD? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gateway drops AMD. Micron to buy AMD?

In one of the really, really Blue states.

For the record. Gateway has indeed announced it is no longer selling AMD, but will continue to do so until their current supply runs out. About a week ago on the Yahoo Financial news page there was info on how the rumor had spread that Micron was considering buying AMD and that it had affected the stock market. If you notice there was a question mark by this statement. If you are getting stock market advice from Windrivers and me you are probably not Warren Buffet to begin with.
    The point of this thread is how amazed I am that 1) AMD could not capitalize on their superior chip technology and 2) Intel is allowed to use their clout to seriously injure their only viable competitor.
    Now I am confused by these statements I have read here about Micron. I THINK I remember reading that Micron just dropped Intel.
    Curiouser and Curiouser. No matter how you look at it unless AMD gets their mhz up, or releases their 64bit processor soon, Intel may reduce them to a bit player.
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Darren Wilson

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by techs:
    I THINK I remember reading that Micron just dropped Intel.
    </font>
    Now I don't know where you read that as it is common knowledge & most definatly (and very well reported by the news sites) that Micron PC dropped AMD and if you check out their site, you will see that all but ONE machine on the site is Intel based.

------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

slippery

Sorry guys but I never use AMD, anything that fails that spectacularly when the fan fails is just an accident waiting to happen, other than serious gamers most people prefer to sacrifice a tiny bit of speed for reliability, and price really isn't an issue any more. Anyways, my old P3 1Ghz runs every game nigh perfectly, yet friend AMD rigs don't, go figure.

------------------
    Slippery,
    The Stainless Steel Rat

In one of the really, really Blue states.

Perhaps a fairer test would be a fan failure, not the complete removal of the hsf. Also, doesn't the Athlon MP contain a thermal diode like the Pentium? I wonder how the test would turn out with that processor?
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

Nick81

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by slippery:
    Sorry guys but I never use AMD, anything that fails that spectacularly when the fan fails is just an accident waiting to happen, other than serious gamers most people prefer to sacrifice a tiny bit of speed for reliability,

</font>
    All it takes is alittle knowledge and the only thing going spectacularly will be your computer. And with an AMD the only accident waiting to happen will be in your pants. You might also notice that your system will shutdown if the fan fails ....if setup correctly

raptorGT

Its a shame that Big Blue, the "Moo-Cow" company, and [the farmer and the...] Dell, aren't offering AMD anymore. I've been a true believer in quality over quantity. AMD has something iNTEL never will. That little 'something' is the time and excellence they put into their chips. I cooked two iNTEL processors this past week, was really pissed about it, and guess who's chips I have never cooked? AMD. My last computer featuring an AMD k6-2 was in a lightning strike. Did the chip cook? No. iNTEL Celer(y)on processors - you look at them funny and they cook. Wassup wit dat?

------------------
    SoyoTek K7VIA with AMD Athlon 750TT (7.5x133), 1024Mb PC133, 2x30Gb WD HDs, 50xCD, 8x4x32 Philips, nVidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb DDR, SB Live! X-Gamer, Kenwood 200W amp with twin 4-way 15" speakers, powered 10", and 2x3.5" satellites with an NEC Multisync XP21 CRT.

You wanted to see how AMD deals with heat compared to Intel, Check this out
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/01q3/010917/

Makes me worried when you want to throw some duals in a server- not only will you have to invest in better cooling, but if a HSF fails, hope you have fire suppression.
    Mind you, I like AMD, they just run way tooo hot for my likes - How many customers homes have you gone to that reguraly clean the inside of the computer to prevent dust buildup on the HSF. I'm waiting to see some fires about a year from now.

------------------
    them -... when I click on this it crashes.
    me - OK, reboot and let's troublesho...
    them - ...see, it did it again... me - sigh
    them - When I click on this it crashes.
    me - OK, reboot and let's troublesho...
    them - See, it did it again...
    me - sigh

jaskeyjk

Yunz guyz,

resellers suck. You only need them if you are working for a company who uses business apps. If you plan on running 3DMark2001 or any other benchies, then build the rig yerself =) some advice for you proud athlon ownerz...gott a get the swiftech MC462 heatsink and Delta fan combo. Then you won't have to worry about the heatsink falling off and the chip frying, as one luser expressed in da forum.

P4's suck because they're too dam expensive and RIMMS suck because of the same reason. Intel just plain sux.

------------------
    Will work for bandwidth

computron99

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by CondoPC:

Makes me worried when you want to throw some duals in a server- not only will you have to invest in better cooling, but if a HSF fails, hope you have fire suppression.
    Mind you, I like AMD, they just run way tooo hot for my likes - How many customers homes have you gone to that reguraly clean the inside of the computer to prevent dust buildup on the HSF. I'm waiting to see some fires about a year from now.

</font>
    I agree, It's bad enough that I have to replace so many Slot1/SlotA cooling fans. I can wait to see some of the PIII /P4 and Athlons getting too hot and over heating becuase there case has more fur in it than there cat.

------------------
    "The labor's free, it's your attitude that costs $45.00 an hour."

Ya_know

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by CondoPC:

</font>
    That article really puts it in perspective. I had to see it with my own eyes, the MP4 video was a bonus...

------------------

Darren Wilson

Angry

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by jaskeyjk:
    Then you won't have to worry about the heatsink falling off and the chip frying, as one luser expressed in da forum.

P4's suck because they're too dam expensive and RIMMS suck because of the same reason. Intel just plain sux.

</font>
    Who the HELL ARE YOU CALLING A LUSER???? Don't piss me off as obviuosly you have only read a couple of articles and thought you know f***ing everything.

What the hell are you on about 'P4's suck because they are too expensive' so what??? If someone put a Prosche 911 Carrera infront of you and a TVR Cerbera next to it which one would you pick??? The Cerbera outperforms the Porsche but the Porsche is more expensive. No different to a P4 or Athlon. Think before you type & RIMM's are not that much more expensive than DDR and RDRAM is a far superior memory to DDR (although the latency is slightly higher, the bandwidth is greater).

If you want to fit in here, don't go around insulting others.

Obviously there will be those that prefer AMD and there will be those who prefer Intel. If you come out with crap such as 'one sucks yet the other rocks' then who is the fool????? Who is the one who deserves not to have customers???

BTW this may be my last post on the forums (again & this time maybe permanent) as I have seen what type of people are now using the forum pretending to be techs and generally spoiling it for everyone.

Been good to be back for the last couple of weeks, but I am not going to waste my time anymore with ill-advised people who obviously think they know it all and cannot see both sides of things.

------------------
    System Specs
    Abit KT7A-RAID (Rock F'n Solid!!!) - AMD Athlon 1Ghz (10x100) - 1024Mb PC133 SDRAM - ATI Radeon (AGP4X) - Maxtor ATA100 30Gb - 2 x Seagate ATA66 (RAID 0 totalling 26Gb) - Toshiba SD-1202M DVD - Plextor PlexWriter 2410A (Buy One!!!!) - Creative Labs SB Live! Value (No Pops , Hiss or Crackles here) - 20" Eizo Flexscan Monitor - Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM Final Release

freddy the fisherman

well said darren.

i was just about to post ,,but you beat me to it.

my machine is due for a rebuild ,,as much as its rock solid , it lacks a bit of guts (compared to some of the newer board/chip combos)

p111 x 700 on a BX board.

as much as i LIKE intel (and this IS personal) ,,,i cannot see which direction to go?

at the MOMENT the p4 is not realy a great performer ,,,FROM WHAT I,VE READ.and is being modified ie: different pin layout,missing sections of the cpu that were not working on the origional(as it was to my understanding ,Rushed out) and is also a bit on the expensive side.

intel are intending to phase out there p111 range (in favour of p4)

I PERSONALLY dont NEED the performance of some of the LARGE athlon CPUs ,,,,,and would probly fit the smallest - till the prices dropped on the large ones.

I dont like the fealing of a CPU that is very critical of heat changes (ie the fan/h.sink failing)and is a patential firebomb.
    at least in the article it shows intels ability to survive a problem , and as such the AMD and board failed. even after the MFG of the board (and AMD) stated that there was thermal protection.
    I can see a problem with RMAs ....as "officially" they cannot fail!!!

i as i am sure most techs have, seen a lot of 2/3 year old machines skt 7 /slot 1 that the fans have either failed/slowed down thru dust, and have cost the customer x$ because of a 3$ part .....because the CPU is not in MFG anymore they end up with a new board,cpu,and prob a new atx case.......quite expensive for a 3$ fan

I am going to have to buy a celleron CPU , which has a reduced cashe ,,and i dont realy want that.

what happened to the days when we had a choice of MFG and ONE type of SKT (ie 7) ...intel,amd,cyrix,winchip,sgs thompson and probly more.

[This message has been edited by freddy the fisherman (edited October 02, 2001).]

Jeez darren , that was a rant worthy of myself...

*sheds a tear* im so proud...

i stand by your points, although others shouldnt make you leave.

------------------
    Life is good...sometimes...
    Life is good...sometimes...

Cobra

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by jaskeyjk:
    Yunz guyz,

resellers suck. You only need them if you are working for a company who uses business apps. If you plan on running 3DMark2001 or any other benchies, then build the rig yerself =) some advice for you proud athlon ownerz...gott a get the swiftech MC462 heatsink and Delta fan combo. Then you won't have to worry about the heatsink falling off and the chip frying, as one luser expressed in da forum.

</font>
    Ay, dios mios. Okay, this settles it...I was on the fence about going toward Intel or AMD on my next upgrade....I am now MOST DEFINATELY going P4, because as an AMD user, I don't want to be associated with idiots like this who only know what they read from AMD's propaganda.

I'm also returning the DDR RAM I bought last week, and going with Rambus on an i850 chipset. Just to spite all the AMD lamers. I'm not calling EVERY one who is an AMD user a lamers...just the ones like this who refuse to do a little bit of thinking for themselves and see that AMD is just spinning it's wheels. They've fallen behind the times and you can NOT do that in this business.

Rant over.

------------------
    El mundo! El mundo! El mundo! El mundo es mio! HA HA HA HA HA!

Jpbtennisman

<font face="Tahoma, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Who the HELL ARE YOU CALLING A LUSER???? Don't piss me off as obviuosly you have only read a couple of articles and thought you know f***ing everything.

What the hell are you on about 'P4's suck because they are too expensive' so what??? If someone put a Prosche 911 Carrera infront of you and a TVR Cerbera next to it which one would you pick??? The Cerbera outperforms the Porsche but the Porsche is more expensive. No different to a P4 or Athlon. Think before you type & RIMM's are not that much more expensive than DDR and RDRAM is a far superior memory to DDR (although the latency is slightly higher, the bandwidth is greater).

If you want to fit in here, don't go around insulting others.

Obviously there will be those that prefer AMD and there will be those who prefer Intel. If you come out with crap such as 'one sucks yet the other rocks' then who is the fool????? Who is the one who deserves not to have customers???

BTW this may be my last post on the forums (again & this time maybe permanent) as I have seen what type of people are now using the forum pretending to be techs and generally spoiling it for everyone.

Been good to be back for the last couple of weeks, but I am not going to waste my time anymore with ill-advised people who obviously think they know it all and cannot see both sides of things.

</font>
    I really hope you don't mean that about you leaving...

But anyway...why suddenly Darren are you supporting Intel? We're all entitled to an opinion of course but I thought you were an AMD guy.

Except for maybe the RAMBUS RAM, as of now any given Athlon outperforms a P4 in the same price range or at the same clock speed. So what's making you switch?

I don't like Rambus as a company, I think their ethics are warped, as they are always attempting to claim copyrights on standards, but I must admit their RAM is faster.

And to JaskeyJK, yes, most resellers DO suck IMO, but when AMD loses its resellers it must rely only on the 2% of the market who custom builds machines. Athlons and Pentium 4s all have uses, although the Athlons have far more uses

------------------
    Mistake #6:
    "If we got a new webmaster, you would get permanently banned and your Word Association post would be closed."

Antec SX840, AMD Athlon 1400@1584 STABLE, Epox 8K7A+, IBM 60GXP 40GB, 20GB Maxtor 7200RPM, Plextor 16x10x40, Pioneer Slot-Loading DVD-ROM, Yamaha 8x8x24 Firewire CD-RW, Maxtor 80GB external Firewire hard drive, ATI All-In-Wonder RADEON 32MB DDR, Turtle Beach Santa Cruz, Realtek NIC (blech), 1394 card, Thermalright Sk6 with Thermaltake 31cfm