[RESOLVED] Win2K Pro over ME install?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win2K Pro over ME install?

IT Len

Resolved [RESOLVED] Win2K Pro over ME install?

A department wants to upgrade to Win2K over several new [but not similar hdwe.] systems with a preloaded ME package. I agree with the upgrade concept, would rather reformat and do a clean install, but they want to "shortcut!!!" [Grrrr!....(then why ask me?)] HCL lists and system requirements seem for the most part ok. Has anyone had any luck/problems with Win2K over ME? They're going to be totally responsible for the machines, but I'd like to give them halfway decent advice about the project.

Ghost (or similar) it and be done. It is the fastest way and will give the least headaches if the equipment is vaugely similar.
    If it isn't, do an OEM install and just Ghost that. I will cut your time by probably 50%

------------------
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
    "Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so. "

- Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)

captpackrat

Lightbulb

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, Verdana, Geneva, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by IT Len:
    Has anyone had any luck/problems with Win2K over ME?</font>
    You CANNOT upgrade ME to 2000. Microsoft does not support that upgrade path.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...th/default.asp

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Just start the install for Win2K Pro form the setup disks or from the CD, & let it reformat the partition for you. Then it will be a clean install.

IT Len

Cool

Thanks catpackrat, you've given me an easy answer to these guys. I had checked MS site out concerning upgrades, but was stuck in the fine line of--ME is actually a 9x version, but I didn't know if it was "different enough" to matter, and couldn't find any specific articles that addressed the issue! I wasn't so much worried about HOW to install W2K, there's a multitude of ways, but whether upgrade was supported. [I'm now finding out that the manager over there is responsible for the local machines, and he didn't want to...get ready for this..."do more backing up than is absolutely necessary!!!"] I hope he likes his next job in Greenland! Thanks again, guys.