[RESOLVED] Win 98SE Losing Time

Thread: [RESOLVED] Win 98SE Losing Time

Mr Cisco

Question Win 98SE Losing Time

HELP!!! I've got two machines that keep losing time when they are left on for more than a copule of hours. One is running an AMD K6-2/500 and the other a PIII/733. Both have 98SE as their OS. When I re-boot and check BIOS settings, all of them seem to be set so, I'm thinking it's not the CMOS battery. (Although I have already replaced MB in the AMD machine.) Any suggestions?

Also, somebody please tell me what would cause defrag to go on and on and on.....

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

------------------
    "SO...Exactly where IS the ANY key?!?"

wgbjr

Seeing as how it is two different machines, two different motherboards and processors, etc, is it possible that you have a virus of some sort? Do they share some common software besides Windows? On the defrag question... how long does it take, and how long since you last done a defrag? As long as the hard drive grinds, I don't think you have a problem there, just let it finish.

larryc

You may find this useful. It helped me out a while back.

<A HREF="http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin/forum/Forum17/HTML/001357.html " http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...ML/001357.html </A>

[This message has been edited by larryc (edited January 23, 2001).]

GJFowler

Wink

Intrigued by the concept of a copule....
    I also run a K6-2/500 and 98SE and guess what? Runs slow. Never worked out why 'cause I mostly ignore the system time anyway.
    Defrag? A nearly full disk well fragmented can take forever. Anything running that periodically accesses the drive can slow things down a lot. Have you shut off screen savers etc. MS Office's FastFind utility can do this to you. Ctrl-Alt-Del to bring up the task list and kill anything like this before you run defrag.
    Hope this might help.

Mr Cisco

Wink

I appreciate the quick and helpful replies that everyone has posted The two machines in question only have Win 98SE and Norton AV Corp Ed in common (as far as I can remember, will have to double-check) and I will definitely try out the troubleshooting steps forwarded by larryc. Will keep you all posted as to the results.
    As far as the HD thing, it's a 15G about 1/2 full, Find Fast is not running and I kill everything in the tray before starting defrag. Didn't seem to have this prob with 98...could it be an ME thing?
    Anyway, thanks again, all!!

------------------

Jallentino

Make sure you kill the screen saver before running Defrag.

------------------
    "You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle dixie ?"

Mr Cisco

Talking

Great Day in Tech Land!!!

The damn thing F I N A L Y wish defrag'ing Started it last nite at 1030(EST) time and came home for lunch 'round none to the little box teelling me it was done! Such relief! The thing that bugged me the most was the fact that it kept restarting even after taking all the regular precautions(SS, etc off) and even turning off the system restore function(something I saw in another post). Anywho...thaks again for all the help and quick replies! The time thing on the other hand....

-Mike Francisco

------------------

[This message has been edited by Mr Cisco (edited January 24, 2001).]

This is Microsoft's take on the problem.

Disk Defragmenter Hangs After Choosing Disk to Defragment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SYMPTOMS
    The Disk Defragmenter tool may stop responding (hang) after you choose a disk to defragment.

CAUSE
    This behavior can occur due to corrupt files, folders, or bad sectors on your hard disk.

RESOLUTION
    To work around this behavior, delete the following files and folder:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then Click Folder Options.

Click the View tab, click Show all files, Click Apply and then click OK.

Delete the Applog folder from C:\Windows, and then run the Disk Cleanup Tool.

The Disk Cleanup Tool provides an easy interface to remove temporary internet files, .tmp files, and other optional components. To start the Disk Cleanup Tool:

Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Disk Cleanup.

Select the drive you wish to clean up, and then click OK.

The Disk Cleanup menu is displayed with the files that you need to delete are already selected. NOTE: If you wish to take this opportunity to remove other items that are not automatically selected you can do so. If you are not familiar with the Disk Cleanup Tool, you might want to remove the items at a later date. For additional information about the Disk Cleanup Tool, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q186099 Description of the Disk Cleanup Tool in Windows 98

After you have removed the Applog folder and the temporary files in the steps above, run ScanDisk and then run the Disk Deframenter again.

Real Mode Scandisk
    NOTE: Windows Millennium Edition (Me) does not include real mode support. If needed, you can start your computer with the startup disk, and then run ScanDisk.

If you run the ScanDisk utility and it doesn't find any errors, and then you try to run the Disk Defragmenter utility in Safe mode and it still does not complete, try to run ScanDisk from an MS-DOS prompt (real-mode).

First, configure ScanDisk to detect disk timeouts and check each cluster five times while performing a surface scan. To do so, follow these steps:
    Find the Scandisk.ini file in the Windows\Command folder. Double-click the file, and if prompted, use any text editor (such as Notepad) to open the Scandisk.ini file.

Find the [Environment] section in the file. If the section does not exist, use the example below and create an [Environment] section with these parameters:
    [Environment]
    ScanTimeOut=On
    NumPasses=5
    Note that the "ScanTimeOut=" and "NumPasses=" lines may already exist, but with different values, if they do, change the existing values.

Save and then close the Scandisk.ini file.

Click Start, click Shut Down, click Restart the computer in MS-DOS mode, and then click Yes.

At the command prompt, type the following line and then press ENTER to run ScanDisk
    scandisk <drive>:
    where <drive> is the drive letter of the hard disk you want to check. Note that you should run a surface scan when ScanDisk prompts you to do so, repair any errors that ScanDisk finds, and view and save the log file that ScanDisk creates.

When ScanDisk is finished, type exit and then press ENTER to return to Windows 98.

Run Disk Defragmenter again.

If you still have problems after you complete the steps above, it may be necessary for you to run a diagnostic utility designed for your specific hard disk. If you do not have the diagnostic utility that came with your computer, contact your hardware manufacturer. If you have upgraded your hard disk since you acquired your computer, and you do not have a diagnostic utility, you may be able to download these files from the manufacturer's Web site. Check with your hard disk manufacturer for additional information.

STATUS
    The third-party products discussed in this article are manufactured by vendors independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.

MORE INFORMATION
    For additional information about issues using Disk Defragmenter, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q186978 Disk Defragmenter: Drive's Contents Have Changed: Restarting...
    Q259030 APC PowerChute Plus Causes Disk Defragmenter to Hang

Additional query words: defrag hangs freeze freezes lock locks up 10%

Microsoft's take on system time loss.

Windows Clock on Taskbar and in Date/Time Tool Loses Time

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 98
    Microsoft Windows 95
    Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

SYMPTOMS

When you use the Date/Time tool to select a different year, the clock may stop until you click Apply or OK and the clock does not compensate for the length of time it was stopped.

or
    When you use the Date/Time tool to select a different month or date, the time may be decreased by 5-10 seconds.

or
    When you leave your computer on for an extended amount of time, the time may lose two minutes up to an hour per day.

IMPORTANT: The CMOS does keep the correct time and if you restart the computer, the Windows clock is updated. Also, if you start your computer in Safe Mode, Windows does not lose time.
    NOTE: If either of the symptoms listed in this article occur, the Windows clock on the taskbar and in the Date/Time tool in Control Panel may experience a loss of time.

CAUSE
    This last symptom listed in this article can occur for either of the following reasons:

Advanced Power Management (APM) settings are enabled in the BIOS.

You configure your computer to use third-party anti-virus, system utility, and screen saver programs.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve the issue for the last symptom listed in this article, use one of the following methods:

APM Settings
    Disable APM in the BIOS and configure Windows to manage APM. For information about how to disable APM in the BIOS, please contact the manufacturer of your computer.

To configure Windows to manage APM, follow these steps:
    Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Power Management icon, select the settings you want for APM, and then click OK.

Disable Third-Party Programs and Utilities
    Disable the following types of programs and utilities:
    Anti-virus

Screen savers

System utilities

Clean Boot
    Configure your computer to start with a clean boot. For additional information about configuring a clean boot, click the article numbers below to view the articles in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q192926 How to Perform Clean-Boot Troubleshooting for Windows 98
    Q243039 How to Perform a Clean Boot in Windows 95

STATUS
    Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft products listed at the beginning of this article.

MORE INFORMATION
    If your computer loses time, use the Date/Time tool to set the correct time. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.

Double-click the Date/Time icon.

On the Date & Time tab, configure the correct time, and then click OK.

To determine if the time loss is a result of a weak computer battery, follow these steps:

Click Start, point to Programs, and then click MS-DOS Prompt.

At the command prompt, type time, and then press ENTER.

Compare this time with the time reported by the clock on the taskbar.

Type exit, and then press ENTER.

If the computer's time and the time on the clock are different, the computer's battery may be too weak to keep accurate time, and it should be replaced. For information about how to replace the battery, refer to the documentation included with your computer.

NOTE: This problem does not affect the clock in your computer's CMOS.

Additional query words: 2nd systray system tray

Keywords : kbenv kbtool win95 win98 winapm win98se kbWinME
    Issue type : kbprb
    Technology :