[RESOLVED] Help me with this 1

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help me with this 1

daza_01uk

Post Help me with this 1

I am building a basic pc for the net and homework use,i am using a Gigabyte motherboard with Intel Triton 430vx chipset,my bios is a award 4.51pg,i have 64mb ram,i am using win 98,and using a p133 cpu,what i want to know is what is the highest cpu this board will take,can the bios be upgraded via the net or do u need to buy a new chip,this is a socket 7 motherboard,any help would be great

[This message has been edited by daza_01uk (edited October 03, 2001).]

zerotech

You might still be able to get a BIOS update from Gigabyte (you may have to look through an archive section).
    Unfortunately the Triton chipset is a bit limited; 133MHz might be your limit, though 200MHz may be possible. I don't believe that chipset supports MMX CPUs.
    The Gigabyte site might have a manual for that board in PDF format, it's worth a look.

Good luck.

------------------
    When all else fails.....FDISK!

daza_01uk

Thanks for the reply, i will check there site.

Intel Triton (likelyhood he has Triton 2) 430vx chipset can accept up i233 MMX CPU (or even more,if BIOS version allow to do so).
    Right now I use in my test bench ASUS VX97 motherboard with latest beta version of BIOS, what work ... with AMD-K6-2 CPUs.
    There are also undocumented jumper settings for 2,2v core for some ASUS,Lucky-Star,Gigabyte and another motherboards.
    Beware,though, for MMX processors secondary voltage regulator (and better, if it will be impulse voltage regulator) is required.
    IDT Winchip processors,however,especially disigned for work using only one 3,52v voltage regulator...

[This message has been edited by Ruslan (edited October 04, 2001).]

daza_01uk

Thanks for the reply,my bios is 4.51pg,does anybody know if there is a new version that i can get,so a 166 mmx should work ok,my board does have a dual voltage,what i have noticed is that my sound has gone funny when i used the p133 chip,i did have a ibm 6x86 p120+ in and the sound was fine,any help would be great

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/manual.htm
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/support/bios.htm
    Pick Your model(model name is printed beetwen slots)... Or download hardware info utility from www.hwinfo.com .That util will tell You exact model name and manufacturer's name ,will identify Your sound card and so on. Say "thanx" to Condor for that usefull link...

daza_01uk

Thanks that info is brilliant,i now have discovered that my board is a GA-586VX,and my chipset is intel 82430vx triton 2.
    A big thankyou for kondor for the original link