pagefile.sys Issue

Thread: pagefile.sys Issue

Post pagefile.sys Issue

I just used Partition Magic 7.0 to merge two logical NTFS partitions on a laptop. [BTW, what an easy app to use, the merge only took two minutes!]

All is well...everything is intact. However, when you're preparing to do the merge, you're prompted to create a name for a new folder in which the contents of the merged drive will be transferred. I called it "oldDdrive."

Here's the question. I now have two pagefile.sys folders, one in the root C: and one in the "oldDdrive" folder. It's almost a gig in size, and I'd like to remove it, but, since it's a .sys file, I thought I'd better check on what would be the best way to accomplish this, or if it should be done at all.

What do you think?
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."

As far as I see you can just dump it. It is the old pagefile from your old partition which no longer exists therefore it is not in use any longer. It is a system file that the system no longer uses.

You will not be able to delete it anyway if it is in use as it will be locked by the system so go ahead and try is my advice.

emr

[quote]Originally posted by emr:
    <strong>You will not be able to delete it anyway if it is in use as it will be locked by the system so go ahead and try is my advice.
    </strong><hr></blockquote>

Agreed. If you can't delete it, try chaging the settings for virtual memory in the Control Panel --> System Properties.
    Hard work often pays off in the long run, but Lazyness always pays off now.

As long as you can view the file, (you have your folder options set to view hidden and system files), and it is not in use, you should not have any problems trying to delete it.

If you are asking whether Windows will ever need the extra file in the oldDdrive folder; the answer is no.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

to be 100% sure about the "Real" Page file (NT).
    My computer -> properties -> performance -> pagefile -> change ->>>>> view the location of the paging file

P.s. it should be in somewhat same location under Windows 2K.

Cheers,
    Gabriel
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Thanks for the replies and info, all...

I carefully inspected both .sys folders, and it was just a matter of deleting the one that actually could be deleted...the one in use would not allow it.

I'd been guessing that the one that had the most recent "accessed and modified" date was the one that was actually in use, and that was the ticket. Strangely enough, it was the "oldDdrive" pagefile folder that was now in use, not the one in C:...

[It also helped to be able to set an XP Pro restore point prior to the deletion, back up the folder to CD, and all that!] AM I a little paranoid about messing with .sys files?...Heck yes!

Thanks again...Just one more reason these are the best boards on the net!
    "Qui me amat, amat et canem meum."