Portable CD-RW

Thread: Portable CD-RW

Post Portable CD-RW

I may soon be getting a used laptop, most likely without any CD drive. I know that Tiger Direct sells drive adapters that will convert a IDE drive to USB or parallel cable, for use in laptop and such. I have a 4x burner that would be perfect for this, but I don't know if the converter will let me use my drive as a burner too, or just a plain CD drive. Just wondering if anyone knows.

Also: cheap advertising: I just learned how to add frames to my first person web site: take a look <a href="http://www.geocities.com/davidic01/" target="blank">here.</a>
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

I would imagine it would...I have the shell of a QUE! usb cdrw that the drive died in,I yanked the dead cdrw and did some experimenting. i hooked it up to another, plain CD drive, IDE hard, drive a zip drive and a different cdrw and it worked each time. The device is recognised in windows ad a USB Mass Storage controller, or somthing of the sort, and, as the device itself. I was sucessfully able to burn cd's using this setup
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

[quote]Originally posted by Ahcoraj:
    <strong>I would imagine it would...I have the shell of a QUE! usb cdrw that the drive died in,I yanked the dead cdrw and did some experimenting. i hooked it up to another, plain CD drive, IDE hard, drive a zip drive and a different cdrw and it worked each time. The device is recognised in windows ad a USB Mass Storage controller, or somthing of the sort, and, as the device itself. I was sucessfully able to burn cd's using this setup</strong><hr></blockquote>

cool! thanks
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

The only problem I see that might happen... Is getting the burning software to recognize the external cd as a burner
    Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!