Cluster Servers

Thread: Cluster Servers

Question Cluster Servers

Our company just recieved an order of 4 2U servers to be clustered together with Linux. Can anyone shed some light on this subject or give me some good info. or links about it? I have been doing some researching already and it seems a little difficult. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Willy Paycheck
    Thats easy, PEZ.....Cherry flavored PEZ!

What is the purpose of these servers?..
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

Simply, it allows your 2000 servers and linux servers to provide the same service either at the same time or in a failover setup. IIS and DNS are examples of clusterable services.
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Question

I am not sure of the purpose yet, I will find that out very soon here. But is the service an application or something that is already in the OSes(mainly Linux)? He wants Linux running on these servers. Is it already within the OS or do you have to go elsewhere to get some kind of program to connect these with the cluster. I understand what the use of them is for, I just have never implemented it or played around with it whatsoever. Thanks again for any advice. Willy Paycheck

Is he looking for a <a href="http://fscked.org/writings/clusters/cluster.html" target="_blank">beowolf cluster</a>?

Basically a cluster of linux systems from several lesser systems
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded

[quote]Originally posted by craigmodius:
    <strong>Is he looking for a <a href="http://fscked.org/writings/clusters/cluster.html" target="_blank">beowolf cluster</a>?

Basically a cluster of linux systems from several lesser systems</strong><hr></blockquote>

I actually went to that site before and downloaded some files to read. I am in the process of reading a whole bunch of stuff. Anyways, are you familiar with the beowolf cluster? Is it done within any Linux you have or is there a specific i.e. Debian, Mandrake, Suce(or however you spell it)? Would I just load the same version of Linux on all these servers and connect them some how and there is a utility in Linux? Or do I have to go get something totally seperate to cluster them like the beowolf cluster? Again, I am sorry I am such a novice at this and there are so many questions, but I know there are a lot of bright guys in this place who make it easy or point me in the direction of an easy way to do it or understand it. Thanks in advance for any advice and info. Willy Paycheck

Uh... Im gunna take a bit of a negative view here. While I fully support your interest in Linux, clustering servers isnt something you can just 'plug and play'. For a start, the purpose of the servers, will define how they are connected, and from there, how they are going to interact. Its going to be worth getting your paws on a linux pro here dude, definately someone that has been involved in a project like this before.
    [email protected]

http://forum.hot4s.com.au - Hot 4's & Performance cars

[quote]Originally posted by EvilCabbage:
    <strong>Uh... Im gunna take a bit of a negative view here. While I fully support your interest in Linux, clustering servers isnt something you can just 'plug and play'. For a start, the purpose of the servers, will define how they are connected, and from there, how they are going to interact. Its going to be worth getting your paws on a linux pro here dude, definately someone that has been involved in a project like this before.</strong><hr></blockquote>

And...depending on your purpose for that cluster, you will probably need, at the very least, a small amount of proprietary code. Even with available, downloadable cluster code, it will need to be modified by a knowledgeable Linux user to work with your particular hardware.

Not really a project for the uninitiated.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Talking

Well, I appreciate your concern but that is my job to learn what needs to be done next. This is the next thing. I have a couple Linux pros here, I was just getting some feedback from here in the forums to see what it is all about. It might not be for the feint of heart but that is what I am not. I will find and get the resources I need and by that will tackle this. Isn't this what the forums are for? Topics that you need some help with? I understand this may be a lot more complicated than I think and it would be better to have some guru but that is my job as I have it. Thanks for the advice. Willy Paycheck

[quote]Originally posted by Willy Paycheck:
    <strong>... Isn't this what the forums are for? Topics that you need some help with? I understand this may be a lot more complicated than I think and it would be better to have some guru but that is my job as I have it. Thanks for the advice. Willy Paycheck </strong><hr></blockquote>

Actually, there are guys out there that contract for over $100 an hour to do what you are asking about. That type of advise doesn't come cheep!

Thumbs up

[quote]Originally posted by Ya_know:
    <strong>

Actually, there are guys out there that contract for over $100 an hour to do what you are asking about. That type of advise doesn't come cheep!

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thank you for that information. You are right, that is not cheap advice. That is why I see if anybody in here can help me put one foot in front of the other. Thanks for all the advice guys. I don't take it for granted. I trully appriciate anyone who helps me, or helps any one for that matter. I guess that is the nature of these forums. Especially Windrivers, they are the best, hands down. Good going all you guys and gals who help all of us and everyone else out. Thanks again. Willy Paycheck

Well I know I'm not stepping to tthe plate on this one, I'm still Linux newbie material

Short of pointing you to the standard Linux documentation sites, the only advise I can offer is an educated guess of using the same OS on all systems and I would personally pick Red Hat 7.2

Other than that, good luck, and be sure and post your results as I'd be interested to see them.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded