[RESOLVED] Why is A+ Cert a joke?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Why is A+ Cert a joke?

aubreypaul

Post Why is A+ Cert a joke?

I took a look at the book and it's thick as hell. It gets so into detail with the memory addressing and what not. Do you mean that you guys know all the memory addresses, irqs, etc? This is hardly 2 year old material as someone put it, "A 2 year old could pass it." I have heard almost everywhere that A+ is a joke. Can you tell me why?

------------------
    Damn Windows 3.1 runs fast on a P3 800.

PErsonally, I respect someone who has passed the A+ certification, but not necessarily because of their Tech skills. There is a big difference between a paper tech and someone who has learnt on the job.

Sure you know al the memory address and IRQ after passing the A+ test, but a good tech would know what is applicable. If a memory stick is bad, instead of trying to find which chip is bad, replace it. More efficient in terms of time and time=money.

Same with the motherboard.

BTW: IRQs are not too tough. You pick them up after working tech for a while.

My $0.02!

------------------
    Say what?
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

The A+ cert isn't a joke. It's a great place to start a career. But that is just it. It is a START. By no means are you done with just an A+ and unfortunately that is what many people do is get it then call themselves great technicians. Get it to start with then work your way from there... Good Luck,
    Ian.

------------------
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd
    Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day. Fritter and waste the hours in an off hand way. ---Pink Floyd

Well I have mixed feelings on it. I agree that it is a good easy way to get your foot in the door somewhere but in the same instance it is a joke. Unless someone updated it lately some of the questions are outdated. Alot of them refer to components that you would more likely find in a museum than in the real world. The basics are sound but the way things are changing I would be real hard pressed to see any practical use for it.

My advice would be to not waste money on taking classes but get some hands on experience and some good study guides then take the test.

------------------
    You spend your whole life believing that you're on the right track,
    only to discover that you're on the wrong train.

Dale Earnhardt #3 (1951-2001)
    You will be missed!

A+ is a joke.
    Companies that think that the A+ is something that holds weight is a joke.
    places like cramsession.com should be taken down strictly becuase they give REAL techs a bad rap.
    example:
    I met a MCSE certified techie, that didnt know how to ping a machine. he didnt know what a com port is, and this guy was making three times more than i was.
    I am sure he either copied and modified his cert, or took a cram and took the test right afterwards.

I know that if someone gave me the money to take the test, i could go take it that instant, and pass. without a doubt. (A+ cert)

the MCSE maybe with a little study, same with network+. I would much rather have the knowledge and theories behind what i am supporting rather than have a cert that says i know it. without a doubt, there are too many people that cheat thier way into the tech market. granted it is hard to get in, but it is that way to filter out all the ID-10-ts that think that just becuase they put RAM in thier mom's computer, that they are qualified to be a computer tech.
    sorry, doesnt work like that.
    I have taught myself everything i know, and i got lucky, by being accepted for a techie job where i got exposure to what goes on. building on that i made my way to what i am now. no college, hell not even a High School diploma (got GED after being expelled from high school). these peopl that are tring to get into thes high-tech indusries arent realizing that by not having the knowledge needed for the job, they will not get very far. even people that can 'pretend' to know, eventually get fired.
    those people are the reason that job demand is so high, but jobs are so few. no company is happy with the knowledgethat thier crew has, and is always looking for someone to fill thier shoes. by getting a cert, some think that gives them an edge, it does, but it is only temporary, as they will be replaced with someone who has the experience.

Sebring

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Larommi:
    Well I have mixed feelings on it. I agree that it is a good easy way to get your foot in the door somewhere but in the same instance it is a joke. Unless someone updated it lately some of the questions are outdated. Alot of them refer to components that you would more likely find in a museum than in the real world. The basics are sound but the way things are changing I would be real hard pressed to see any practical use for it.

My advice would be to not waste money on taking classes but get some hands on experience and some good study guides then take the test.

</font>

I agree. Get the cert. but don't spend too much money on it. If nothing else, having it will allow you to display the A+ logo on your business cards or brochures/letterheads. It always sounds more impressive than it is. I had some disks around here somewhere with the sample tests on it that had random questions each time you took it but I'm sure it's outdated now. Good luck.

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

Thumbs up

A+ is defintly not a joke.
    I worked a a tech for a several years without it.
    When i learned for the Test i was Amazed from the Number of things that i didn't know.

I Advice Everyone to take the Book and read it.

It made my Experience Better.

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Some people say that it is a joke because they feel that it is too easy. Often, these are the same people that have been techs for five plus years. Of course it's easy for them because A+ is aimed towards new techs with only six months on the job.

Until recently it was very outdated. They actually were still asking questions on Windows 3.x. How often do people work on Windows 3.x in the real world? Not very often. Fortunately, they just updated it this year, and Windows 3.x is no longer part of the test.

As others have said, A+ is a good starting point for your career, but only that. There is much more to be learned after that if you intend on being a well rounded tech. And, of course, a person needs plenty of real world experience.

------------------
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones
    "Tell me, and I'll forget. Show me, and I'll remember. Involve me, and I'll learn." -- Marla Jones

harlyblnde

I found the test too easy but as it was stated in a previous reply, it's meant for someone with six months experience. The only reason I took the test anyway was because when an employer looks at a male tech with A+ certification and a female tech with a good degree of experience under her belt but no paper, the male tech most always wins out (sorry but true). There's no stopping me now.

------------------
    Natural blondes aren't dumb, it's the peroxide that kills brain cells

kturnerga

Hello
    I would check for an update to the A+. I think it gives credibility to a newbie and helps distinguish dummies from absolute morons. But in and of itself it doesn't mean you know what you are doing.

I know one person who works on computers but he lacks the educational background or ANY training to know what to do. All this cert would do is prove he is willing to learn and weed out the white trash.

LORE

Wink

The problem with the A+ is all it takes to pass it is an ability to read. just about anyone can read a few books and pass the A+, try putting the same person in front of a computer that doesn't work and see if they can figure out what is wrong with it, possibly why it went wrong (but usualy the why is a wast of time) and how to fix it. That is what a lot of BEGINNER A+ techs are lacking. The biggest problem I find with a newbie who has his A+ is I get so sick of hearing them talk about all the damb crap. I may not have every # or fact memorized, but there is very little I can't fix, and even though I do have my A+, I wouldn't base any of my abilities on it, only my pay scale.

------------------
    We may be through with the penguin, but the penguin may not be through with us

aaxiomia

I agree with all that if you have experience, the test is relatively easy. I never bothered, cause I didn't thing I needed it. Kept losing out on larger contracts because I didn't have one. Took the test bout 3 years ago, now I get some bids I didn't. Doesn't make me any better, but some clients feel better that I have it.

------------------
    A Wink's as Good as a Nod to a Blind Horse

pumpkinhead77

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kannibul:
    A+ is a joke.
    Companies that think that the A+ is something that holds weight is a joke.
    places like cramsession.com should be taken down strictly becuase they give REAL techs a bad rap.
    example:
    I met a MCSE certified techie, that didnt know how to ping a machine. he didnt know what a com port is, and this guy was making three times more than i was.
    I am sure he either copied and modified his cert, or took a cram and took the test right afterwards.

I know that if someone gave me the money to take the test, i could go take it that instant, and pass. without a doubt. (A+ cert)

the MCSE maybe with a little study, same with network+. I would much rather have the knowledge and theories behind what i am supporting rather than have a cert that says i know it. without a doubt, there are too many people that cheat thier way into the tech market. granted it is hard to get in, but it is that way to filter out all the ID-10-ts that think that just becuase they put RAM in thier mom's computer, that they are qualified to be a computer tech.
    sorry, doesnt work like that.
    I have taught myself everything i know, and i got lucky, by being accepted for a techie job where i got exposure to what goes on. building on that i made my way to what i am now. no college, hell not even a High School diploma (got GED after being expelled from high school). these peopl that are tring to get into thes high-tech indusries arent realizing that by not having the knowledge needed for the job, they will not get very far. even people that can 'pretend' to know, eventually get fired.
    those people are the reason that job demand is so high, but jobs are so few. no company is happy with the knowledgethat thier crew has, and is always looking for someone to fill thier shoes. by getting a cert, some think that gives them an edge, it does, but it is only temporary, as they will be replaced with someone who has the experience.

</font>
    Flamer!!!!

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pinnacle:
    Some people say that it is a joke because they feel that it is too easy. Often, these are the same people that have been techs for five plus years. Of course it's easy for them because A+ is aimed towards new techs with only six months on the job.

Until recently it was very outdated. They actually were still asking questions on Windows 3.x. How often do people work on Windows 3.x in the real world? Not very often. Fortunately, they just updated it this year, and Windows 3.x is no longer part of the test.

As others have said, A+ is a good starting point for your career, but only that. There is much more to be learned after that if you intend on being a well rounded tech. And, of course, a person needs plenty of real world experience.

</font>

Also more letters behind your name the better, also copies of certs are all you can use to legit. make your resume thicker - like I've said before - one cert = one letter of reccommendation, so in that vien, A+ is useful - also keep in mind that no matter how useless it is to veteran tech's it actual value is measured in both it's ability to qualify someone for a task and the actual wieght given to it by HR.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

jrwilson

A+ books....randomly tear out 85% of the book and what you have left is what you will be tested on...those books should be called Personal Computers 101...i got it because my company paid for it, otherwise i wouldn't have bothered.

------------------
    "Don't hate the media....BECOME the media!!" Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys

[This message has been edited by jrwilson (edited March 05, 2001).]