Best Harddrive
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Best Harddrive

Post Best Harddrive

It has been a while since the forum has expressed their opinion about which hard drive is better.

It is too bad that the manufacturers are not consistent with their quality and therefore the top hdd keeps leap frogging.

I have worked with Western Digital lately an no problems yet. but my volume of hdd sales is not that high. What do you folks think is the top (IDE)hdd today. Keeping in mind reliability, performance and price.

------------------
    Say what?

[This message has been edited by pm4345 (edited March 05, 2001).]
    I was here, here I was, was I here? I hope I was....

Darren Wilson

Maxtor DiamondMax or Seagate Barracuda.

------------------
    'I won't deny ya, I'm a straight Ridah, You don't wanna f#@k with me'
    Tupac Shakur
    '*****ionz as a Ridah'
    All Eyez On Me
    CD 1 Track 1.

Mustang

I have to agree with Darren.
    But as everyone has opinions there is truely no one brand of drive that will satisfy everyone

------------------
    Perception: Our day in, day out world is real.

Reality: That world is a hoax, an elaborate deception spun by all powerful machines of artificial intelligence that control us.

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited March 05, 2001).]

pumpkinhead77

I havent had any problems with my 20gig wd but I really like the maxtors, they will live through hell

------------------
    If it's not broken....Fix it!

MS-Tech

Exclamation

If I had to go with IDE (yech!) and money was not an object, I'd have to say the IBM Deskstar (for overall performance & reliability)

If the sky's the limit and you have the option of going straight SCSI, then the IBM Ultrastar is my preference. 15,000 RMP, 4MB cache, 12 / 8 GMR heads, 647MB/sec, 3.4ms seek time. Pretty tough to beat, if you ask me.

my .02

-mike

Antimatter

Cool

The 5400rpm Seagate U series we've had 1 return in the hundreds we've sold so I'll put that down as no.1(for when performance ain't an issue).

I'm starting to not like the Seagate Barracuda ATA II, but that may be a localised problem. We've had almost 50% returns now(hope the other customers don't know who I am) with dead controllers.

We're going to be dealing with the faster IBM drives now for performance systems so I'll let ya'll know how that goes.

------------------
    "It wasn't me... honest"

condor

Cool

for UDMA IBM Deskstar 75GXP series..

if SCSI is involced...

The new Seagate Cheeta or the New IBM Ultrastar that rotate in 15,000 rpm....
    Zoooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

------------------
    Computers do exactly what you tell them to do - not exactly what you want them to do ...

CobraTekMax

Cool

If you're stuck with IDE, and looking for a good drive at a decent price, go with a Maxtor Diamondmax. I know some people on the forums rag them, but I'll be damned if I've ever had to RMA one, and I've used them in just about all my home systems. But if you've got the cash to spare and want a GREAT drive, then go with the higher-end IBM drives.

Of course if you're willing to spend that kind of money on an IBM drive, why not just shell out a few bucks more and go SCSI, in which case the Seagate Cheetah blows the doors off of everything.

------------------
    "Listen up, you primative screwheads...this is my BOOMSTICK!"

[This message has been edited by CobraTekMax (edited March 06, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by CobraTekMax (edited March 06, 2001).]

Angry

Agree with all the above just one thing
    AVOID Fujitsu

------------------
    It Works Better if you Plug it in, It Works far better if you Turn it ON!
    Real stupidity beats Artifical Intelligence

Seagate, Maxtor and IBM.

------------------
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.
    It's a dog eat dog world out there, and there isn't enough dog to go around. So get as much dog as you can, before all the dogs gone.

MS-Tech

CobraTekMax:

You may wanna check your data on Seagate "blowing the doors off" the Ultrastar. There is a clear performance gap between the drives with the IBM finishing tops by as much as 14% faster than the Seagate (depending on what hype you are reading from what website)

In any case, the IBM drives are well worth the money . . . especially if you like having weekends to yourself instead of having to repair an array that consists mostly of Seagate HDDs <g>

-mike

cc_penguin

Has anyone else noticed that Darren is unbeleivably fast????He posted an answer 1 minute after the question was posted. Guess thats why he is the Tech god....

jrwilson

well...since you asked... i'd have to agree the the IBM Dreskstar and Seagate Cheetah drives are schweet, but I'm gonna go the other way on the Maxtors for the simple fact that i have had to RMA more than a few of their 4.3gb drives that come standard in the older compaq 2k, 2kmmx, 4k,and 4kmmx as well as some of the EP series desktops. i have been documenting what i perceive to be a trend among HDD manufacturers, maxtor in particular, towards drives that fail within 6 months of the END of their warranty. and yes, i do mean that they are ENGINEERED to do so. let me know what you think..

------------------
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

I don't deal in large quantities either but I'd have to say stay away from maxtors. Like someone said maybe it's a local thing or something but I've seen a lot more dead Maxtors than any other drive with the exception of Quantums. Maybe it's a distributor thing too, we had problems with WD for awhile but we switched distributors and haven't really had much problems since. Oh and believe it or not right after we quit buying wd we switched to Fujitsu and have had Excellent luck with them. I know a few others in town here that have had really good luck with Fujitsu's as well. I guess you really just have to try a drive out and see and when youb find something that works stick with it.

GLSmith

------------------

Don't hate me because I'm a US citizen!

IDE:
    I use as much as possible - western digital.
    they are excellent drives for the cost.
    SCSI:
    my server has quantum drives, dont know if that is good or bad (bigfot memories...)
    if i had the cash, i would get a IBM Ultrastor series, one of the new ones with glass platters..
    i wouldnt be able to wait until the glass shatters....
    (spinning at 15000 RPM, the forces would cuase the galss to migrate to the outer edge, which would eventually deplete the inner surface enough for it to shatter...)

probably would take 3-5 years, but to hear that break apart would be something...