How can I remove a dead fan?

Thread: How can I remove a dead fan?

Post How can I remove a dead fan?

How can I remove a dead fan from a Retail Intel P2? It looks to be riveted on, and I'm afraid to just drill it.

------------------
    -- What? No more Jolt!?!?
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

I honestly do not think you can.
    If that happens you usually have to RMA the whole processor,I had a customer that managed to get one off a boxed PIII somehow and he sent it to me for some reason and the fan worked okay so I sent it back and explained we need the whole processor to RMA not just the fan

The retail P2-CPU carries a 3 year warranty - just call HP and get an RMA - if the fan/CPU is damaged you could void your warranty.

------------------
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.
    Death is lighter than a feather - duty heavier than a mountian.

The answer to your question is: 00110100 00110010

captpackrat

Lightbulb

There is a way to do it however this will void your warranty It also carries a slight risk of damaging the CPU, so follow these instructions at your own risk!

On the back of the CPU, you'll notice 4 depressions, with what looks like a pin in the middle. If you look at the heatsink side, you'll see these four pins sticking out next to the fan. You cannot remove the pins from this side.

Take 4 case screws, and arrainge them on a strong tabletop. Fit the four depressions on the back of the CPU down over the screws. The fan should be facing up. Make sure the screws are centered in the depressions.

Now PUSH down on the processor. You'll need to use a pretty good amount of force to pop the pins out. You'll probably hear them pop as they release.

Pick up the CPU, and remove the screws from the depressions. You will probably need a screw driver to unscrew them from the holes. You should be able to remove the heatsink from the CPU. If not, you may need to repeat the above and press a little harder.

It's kinda scary doing it the first time, as the amount of force you have to use feels like it will break the CPU. And there is a slight chance you might damage the processor, especially if you don't get it right the first time and have to attempt it a second.

------------------
    Captain Troy D. Pack Rat
    `akbar Press

If you're furry and you know it, hug the mouse!

Wink

That works great!! However, this cpu is a P2 266, which has a sold back. I guess I should have made that clearer.

------------------
    -- What? No more Jolt!?!?
    -- I still do not understand the rampant growth of stupidity in this country.
    <a href="http://www.tabletop-battlezone.com" target="_blank">The TableTop BattleZone</a>

tk421

any time you can take advantage of an awesome 3 year warranty, DO IT. You'll likely end up walking away with a better CPU than you started with.

tk

------------------
    www.mp3.com/stairwell

x_789

Man all I do is pop oout the pins with a little pick tool and then puch them back in to the new fan Wa Laa .X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"

DO NOT remove that fan! The last and only time I tryed it I killed the CPU. If it is under Warranty send it in. I ended up spending 5 hours hunting down a replacement unit, and $90 to buy it. And i still olost my job becasue of it!

------------------
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.
    Windows (N): A 32 Bit patch to a 16 bit graphical interface based on a 8 bit operating system originaly encoded for a 4 bit processor writen by a 2 bit company that cant stand 1 bit of competition.

I've replaced more than I care to remember...but if it's under warranty, RMA.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

Sebring

Here is the bottom line. If you remove the fan you have lost your warranty. You might save some time now buy not having to send it back but what does that gain you? You will still have to buy a new fan so no money saved and if in the future, say like next month, the cpu itself kicks, you will not be able to exchange it, hence, you will be out more time and definitely more money.

------------------
    HEY! Who ate my cat?

RMA it!!! That's my opinion too!

------------------
    "Matter is passive. In spite of its power, it can't be controlled without the human mind." - Sokrates

My Hardware Info, Hardware Media and Computer History page
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

3fingersalute

I think that was the dumbest thing they ever did, along with AMD's fans on the retail K-6's. Who wants to be w/out a processor for 2-3 weeks, just because of the fan?

A 266 is probably out of warranty, but if not send it it....if it is out of warranty, the fan CAN come off, I have done it several times, but I did but the casing on one of the processors, but it still worked!

------------------
    Is it because light travels faster than sound that some people appear bright until they speak????