Help choosing Intel chip & mobo.

Thread: Help choosing Intel chip & mobo.

Post Help choosing Intel chip & mobo.

Well, I'm finally going to shelf my trusty
    AMD system and go with Intel .. only because
    I'm using audio hardware that is very fussy.

So since I've been looking (and I'm out of touch with Intel), I'm seeing names like
    "Coppermine". I'm fairly sure I want no less than a P3 CPU and I definitely need at least 900 mhz with onchip cache.
    When I last checked, celerons were considered the "economy" line.(still true?)
    How about good mobo chipset? ..440BX, etc.
    I wouldn't mind having a board with 1-2mb cache either.
    Can anyone give me a quick lowdown on the choices?
    Thanx.

you must be way back there...

first off, any recent chip has the L2 cache integrated with the chip, either in the slot package, or in the chip die itself.

the biggest L2 cache you can get at full speed is 256k, unless you buy a special chip (xeon or slot form)

your best bet is to get a board that is Socket 370, or wait a while longer and get the next line, Intel is going to phase out the PIII and the PIV has problems (last i knew)

if now is what you want - get a S370 board, iether VIA or 815 chipset, a good video card (dont want to use the integrated one with the 815) and whateve chip you want.

MSI makes excellent boards, and they are a great deal. same caliber as ASUS but better on the wallet.

above all else, dont skimp on ram, a PIII-1 GHz w/ 64 mb ram will run like a 750MHz with 256MB ram.

also - dont look to shy away from AMD now, they are making excellent chips, that cost less, and perform at least as good as an intel chip of the same clock. (Duron=Celeron, T-Bird=CuMine)
    cleries are good for most home users, cheap, somewhat strpped down versions of the full fledged brothers.
    some older slereis were great at over clocking, if thats you bag.

x_789

Kan pretty much covered it but unless you want to be download chipset upgrade weekly stay as far away from via as you can. Go with the intel 815e Solano its right or if you want to drop the cash you can buck up to a board with the 850. X

------------------
    No really That paper thingy you took out of the box with all the words on it was not packing material its called a "MANUAL"