[RESOLVED] Windows bootup takes a long time - after AMD patch

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows bootup takes a long time - after AMD patch

Yao

Question Windows bootup takes a long time - after AMD patch

I recently installed the AMD patch to fix the bootup problems I was experiencing with Windows 95 (last build). This was fine but now it takes a good 2-3 minutes to bootup. It stops for a long time with the Windows bootup screen and after a long period continues into Windows.

Does anyone know what could be causing this?

Question

What else did you do to your computer. Did you upgrade? New card? Add NIC? You said you installed the patch to help with boot up problems. What were the bootup problems before you installed the patch?

------------------
    I always do what the voices in my head tell me!

Yao

Question

This is a brand new install and a brand new build of PC. I've just put it together and previously I was getting the "Windows protection errors/IOS errors" and so I installed the AMD patch.

Since I installed the patch, the errors aren't there anymore but instead I get the long bootup.

MuscleMan

You may want to make sure all of your drivers are up to date. Also, make sure you don't have anything that is unnecessary in your autoexec or config.

Clean out the registry It works. Even a new install it helps.

Best way is to backup, export it, bit to a command line and import it with the /c switch to check the validity of the keys.

Start it before you go to sleep because this a process which can run many hours.

Cool

Take everything out of your autoexec.bat and config.sys, remove your cards one at a time and try booting up each time. If this doesn't work, remove your soundcard and modem and any other cards, format your HDD, reinstall windows, remove autoexec and config, and see if windows runs smoothly without the patch. If it doesn't, install the patch, reinstall your cards one at a time and i bet that one of them is causing the problem!! Hope this helps, I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago.

------------------
    It's not rocket science, it's just a computer.