Dead ASUS A7V133

Thread: Dead ASUS A7V133

Post Dead ASUS A7V133

having just put together a new system on starting i get a black screen no beeps
    have checked video card, ram, cpu has anyone any ideas what is wrong everything has been checked. the green power light is on on motherboard

Darren Wilson

Check the Clear CMOS jumper and any switch/Jumper settings on the Board. If possible try a different CPU or test the parts on a known good board.

For this MB there are no jumpers, (which is kinda inconvienient), but there are two contact points that you can short out with a paper clip or some other conductive material. The manual can show you the exact location. No beeps upon startup huh? Make sure the connection to the case speaker is correct. Usually if you don't get anything, AGP BIOS, POST, etc. It would be the RAM. Generic RAM won't work with the TBirds.
    Hey man! Hand me that thing. Not that thing! The other thing!!! You know, the thing!!!

Darren Wilson

BTW A lot of Generic RAM will work with the T-Birds otherwise I would not be typing this (and it is very stable at CAS2 & 4-way DRAM Interleaving). I can't afford branded memory which is why I am using the generic stuff.

Using branded memory is recommended though, but it is a 'Tech Tale' that generic memory won't work with Athlon's or Duron's of any catergory.

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    BTW A lot of Generic RAM will work with the T-Birds otherwise I would not be typing this (and it is very stable at CAS2 & 4-way DRAM Interleaving). I can't afford branded memory which is why I am using the generic stuff.

Using branded memory is recommended though, but it is a 'Tech Tale' that generic memory won't work with Athlon's or Duron's of any catergory.

True to a point, Darren. Generic is OK, but it is a crap shoot. I would say insure CAS2 memory is used, whatever brand.
    BTW, Crucial has free 2nd day shipping, making it as cheap as generic RAM with shipping charges. It is all I use now.

Red face

Make sure your hard drive is plugged into the correct IDE channel and none of the cables are flipped... as mentioned earlier, this MB is jumperless so you also did not need to do anything with the dip switches..

Originally posted by Darren Wilson:

Have to agree with Darren. If memory manuf-rs
    used good memory chips in their generic DIMMs,why these generic DIMMs shoudn't work well? Simply try it first to be sure.

About Motherboard problem... Anyway, if even Your memory stick is bad, You would have to hear error beep sounds. What exactly beeps,it's depends on what BIOS (AMI or AWARD)Your Motherboard uses.In case of AWARD BIOS read that topic: http://forums.windrivers.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=001040

I like to simplify the machine as much as possible. Start with the absolute bare minimum. In this case, the CPU, power supply, speaker, and power button connected to the MB. No drives, cables, cards or memory.

When powered on, the POST should immediately fail, resulting in beeps. If there is still no audible error code, I would double check the configuration switch positions on that A7V133. If you can't even get a post failure at this point, the candidates are very limited.

If you do get a post failure, that's good, start adding one component at a time, video, then memory, and so on until you run into the problem johann49 described above. The last part added will be the culpret.

As a rule when building a new system, I fire the board up with the only the cpu, video, and memory to see if it flies before I add drives, etc.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience

Wink

I have seen this on the a7v board a few times and one of the less obvious but common ones is a duff ide cable on the secondary channel, worth checking.
    "box it up and send it back before you hurt yourself"

I had the exact same problem with my asus a7/duron system. When I first built it the green light came on to let me know there was video but nothing else happened(no fans, beeps) Take out the mobo and make sure it is not touching any metal risers on the bottom. Mine was shorting because of this with enlight 7237 case. I pulled out a few that were touching the circuits and it works like a charm now. Good luck!

Have you tried a new power supply? Or are you sure the power supply you are using is "AMD Approved"?

I've seen this happen with bad power supplies or even with a psu that was not "approved" by AMD
    I'd rather be fly-fishing.....

Peter Arnett

Wink

I've had this problem once with a system that I built, it turned out to be a faulty IDE cable on the secondary channel (I believe that someone else has also mentioned this) - Give it a go, it may help.

As regards to the branded or not branded memory sticks, I prefer branded personaly but I have neither had a problem with T'Birds and unbranded memory