[RESOLVED] Slow LAN Connection

Thread: [RESOLVED] Slow LAN Connection

Intheaud

Post Slow LAN Connection

I put together a friends computer and sent it off to him. Everything works fine until he gets a cable modem, he puts in the network card and it still works great, then he networks his two computers together and now he only gets a download speed of 58kbs at the first computer, but the same file copies at over 6mb from the second computer, I can't figure out what the problem is, everything is secure but I can't get it to work, any ideas??

Stefan

What protocols are running. If IPX is replace it with something else.

Intheaud

Nope, Just TCP/IP and NETBEUI

Hater

stupid questions have you checked the cables ? to see if mabye one is bad or switched them on the hub to see if mabye theres a bad port?

Intheaud

Would that explain why the connection only works one way though?

Currently he isn't going through a hub, just using two sraight through cables with a straight through connector between them. The connections are as secure as they will get, however it doesn't click in on one of the computers. It just slides in.

The cables by themselves provide the same problem. However I have re-installed the drivers for both and that seem to bump it up to about two mbs.

Still working on it though

I assume that you are using thin coax with BNC connectors. If this is so, use "T" connectors on each machine and terminate each end with termination resistors. This should help with your problem. If using the RJ45 connectors, get a hub. Let us know, OK?

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited December 31, 1999).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

Hater

Had a buddy with the exact same problem he was using BNC between 2 systems and was using a Dos network test and was getting alot of lost packets and packet errors came to find out it was a bad BNC cable , it was a ne2000 dos setup test do your network cards have a dos setup with a test you can run?

sail0rUranus

when you say "click" it makes me think rj-45. you need a crossover cable when connecting two NICs together w/o a hub.
    --
    sail0rUranus

just my 2¥

Intheaud

I was told when I bought them that he wouldn't need to buy crossover cables since it wouldn't be going through a hub.

I haven't found a way to get the network test working, but I will keep trying. When I select the test, it asks me to not use it if the cards are seen by the computer.

He doesn't want to go out and buy a hub, especially if that means that he's going to have to go and buy twenty more feet of crossover cable. Will he still be able to use the cable modem on both of them without paying for an extra ip?

The help is great, keep it coming please?

Hater

i good program for that so you don't need to use a second ip would be winroute i use winroute pro on my home network and it works great sorry would give a webpage but can't remeber the addy

WEll to do it without buying an IP you would need (2) Nic's in one machine.. so added cost there, and software like Wingate or something to do the proxy part. Added cost there. Also because you would be going through another system, it would add a few ms to your ping time (only a couple enless the proxy system was busy doing something) And for me and games that doesn't work.

Best, Easiest, way is to get a hub, spend the extra $40 and $10 on cable, then get a second IP. (with a hub you do not want a crossover cable except from the modem to the hub)
    ---
    Jon Hutto

Originally posted by jhutto:

Best, Easiest, way is to get a hub, spend the extra $40 and $10 on cable, then get a second IP. (with a hub you do not want a crossover cable except from the modem to the hub)
    I guess I'm thick-headed tonite,(probably a little too much holiday spirits) but if he sets up through a hub and gets the network running properly, why the need for an additional IP? Bear with a dummy and give me an answer please.
    Thanx,
    jay

------------------
    Are we havin' fun yet?

[This message has been edited by Grafman (edited January 03, 2000).]
    Are we havin' fun yet?

Intheaud

Well right now, he's using two network cards in one computer, it's just been really slow lately and we can't figure out if it's a software or a hardware problem. Is there a generic program out there that can check network cards and there performance?

Thanks