[RESOLVED] Hot socket 7 cpu

Thread: [RESOLVED] Hot socket 7 cpu

Ali

Resolved [RESOLVED] Hot socket 7 cpu

does any one know what the temp. for a pentium mmx 200 should be around because my motherboard keeps telling me it is at 62 C which compared to a Duron processor that runs at 32 C. I have got a socket7 fan/heatsink combo and the heatsink has a silver base for maximum heat decipation.

If You don't believe, what MoBo telling You about 62C, try to check it by using Your finger.
    If CPU cold like ice (normal temp., I think is about 30-40C), Your MoBo don't telling You truth.
    If CPU really hot,You've got a problem.
    Probably either You have not fast enough fan, or something wrong with core voltage (2,8v) regulator - check CPU settings.
    BTW, CPU isn't overclocked?

------------------
    Ruslan

evilcabbage

I dont believe the Duron runs at 32C. No way in hell. Temp checked on the board could be buggered, or not installed. My board apparently has capacity to tell me how hot my Athlon is, but is missing a temperature 'wand' also, Ali, are you near Laronge at all?... my mother will be moving there in a few weeks.

------------------
    Its like shooting fish in a barrel, in the head, at point blank range, with an elephant gun.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by evilcabbage:
    I dont believe the Duron runs at 32C</font>
    Nevertheless, it's true. For new Duron 600 and 650,at least. I've build quite a few Duron 600-650 systems and all times have temp. about 32-42C after 3 hours testing (Win98SE, Quake 3 Arena, and full loads of another programms running in background).First time I even didn't believe in it and checked it using thermometer! One time,though, had about 60C,used thermal compound and reduced temp. down to 40C.
    Higher processors, of course, have a bit higher temperature.

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

[This message has been edited by Ruslan (edited January 28, 2001).]

Ali, I would have to agree with ruslan on just touching the heatsink to feel what the temperature is. You have made sure that the cpu fan is spinning? I know, its a stupid question but some ppl don't take the case to look at whats actually going on. A duron running at that temperature is perfectly normal, if you use a fan made for socketa and not socket7 you shouldn't experience any temp problems evilcabbage.

------------------
    we are number one, all others are number two......or lower

[This message has been edited by thirdfey (edited January 28, 2001).]
    I'd rather be riding my motorcycle
    "I gotta have more cowbell, baby" Bruce Dickinson(Christopher Walken)

Ali

Talking

thanks guys for the support, but I hav checked the cpu using another fan heatsink combo and I got the same results.
    to evilcabbage, No Saskatoon is pretty far away from La ronge, it would be like 2-3 day drive.

x_789

you didnt get the fan cable pluged in backwards did you? fan running backwards not moving air enough? X

[This message has been edited by x_789 (edited January 30, 2001).]

Antimatter

I agree about the voltage regulator. Best way to find out is to try an old 3.3-3.5 V Pentium or Cyrix processor in the mobo. If it runs OK and the core voltage setting is 2.8V then you probably have a voltage regulator problem.

corelogik

im not sure what the normal operating temp of a socket 7 is, but they do run hotter than Duron/Athlons partially due to the larger die process, they due tend to get rather toasty. Id touch the heatsink and see if you can hold your finger on it. the rule of thumb is if you can hold your finger onit then its ok, if you cant then its too hot.

PS
    my Athlon runs at 33C at idle and 48C under full load.

------------------
    CoreLogik - "I Control Your MotherBoard"
    Emotion Is Irrelavant
    [email protected]