[RESOLVED] Help with Compaq 5150 power supply!

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help with Compaq 5150 power supply!

rfmathis

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help with Compaq 5150 power supply!

I've got a Compaq that I suspect to have a bad power supply. It has the standard AT-style mobo hookup plus an extra 6 wire plug beside it. Does anyone know the specs on this extra plug or could a standard power supply be subbed for it?
    Thanks, Reg

GHSTECH

Lightbulb

the extra plug is usually a 3.3 volt direct line from the power supply to the cpu circuit, i have seen some boards (emachine) that can do with out the extra connector, i can't see that it would hurt to try a standard AT type ps on the standard plugs and ignore the third, (it will work or it won't) if not you might check to see if lite-on or some other power suppler makes a replacement with the third connector, btw i believe some packard bells & emachines used the same ps so you might check if you have an old one laying around...

[This message has been edited by GHSTECH (edited January 28, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by GHSTECH (edited January 28, 2001).]

Most power supplies can be repaired (ONLY) if you are SMT board tech check fuse line on transfomer and voltage input from the 120 VA input. The safest it to replace the power supply if you do not repair these or have knowledge to repair them. a Power Supply is simply a step down voltage transformer. Also check the output connections 5 & 12 Volt outputs to the PC Power.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

3fingersalute

If all else fails and you need to replace it with the exact replacement, go to http://www.rcp.com

------------------
    I have no recollection of any set of words, that when grouped together, form a favorite saying!