[RESOLVED] Windows Hangs at Shutdown - Plus...

Thread: [RESOLVED] Windows Hangs at Shutdown - Plus...

rmaxwell

Windows Hangs at Shutdown - Plus...

During shutdown the Windows screen "Please wait while Windows shuts down your system" just hangs and the system has to be turned off manually.

This system is a clone with a new (JetBoard) motherboard with SiS 5598 chipset, new P166 CPU, 64MB Ram (32MB PC-100 and 2-16MB Simms) and using onboard sound, Creative Labs 3D video card and two legacy (Connor) hard drives (1.2G & 1080MB) running 95B.

Originally I was using a Diamond Stealth 2000 card when this was happening, and Microsoft informed me that Windows hung because the video card didn't support AGP, so I switched to the onboard video. This worked. However, I was getting numerous problems ranging from Windows Protection Faults, to frequent Illegal Operations - when I could get into Windows.

I ended up renaming the Windows directory and installing a newer (95B) version from DOS. This took 2 or 3 tries before it finally installed (getting WPF's along the way). So while Windows now seemed a bit more stable I would still get Illegal errors. I had thought that I narrowed it down to a video problem, because occasionally when Windows would boot up the display would exhibit verticle lines in varying patterns and hang.

So I decided to go with a newer video card, the Creative Labs PCI 3D. Now I still get Illegal operations involving USER.EXE (i.e. "Explorer has caused an invalid page fault in module USER.EXE" or "Eudora has...in module USER.EXE", and other messages like this). In addition during Windows bootup the screen blacks out for a few seconds before bringing up the hourglass - sometimes twice. And once it blanked out, came back with verticle lines, blanked, then went into Windows desktop.

To sum up - it's a mess - a mish-mash! I greatly appreciate any help.

Thank you.

------------------
    Roger J. Maxwell

rmaxwell
    BTW - there is nothing in the startup folder.

------------------
    Roger J. Maxwell

hi,i don`t about your mboard but as far as i know you are not supposed to use edo simm`s with sdram on the same board check with your mb manufacturer
    hope this is of help Clauded

rmaxwell
    Thanks for your response.

I know and have heard this too. However, this board and chipset supports this kind of configuration. Also, I tried using either the SIMMS or the DRAM and still have the same problems.

Take Care.

Roger

[This message has been edited by rmaxwell (edited May 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by rmaxwell (edited May 12, 1999).]

Just 'cause I'm nosey, what bus speed did you set the M/B at? Could it be one setting too high?

rmaxwell
    System speed is set for 66Mhtz.

UPDATE: I just tried two different fixes. One, I ran VxD fix (see www.windrivers.com/tec/tips/May99/index.htm) and after rebooting the video went goofy, and received an error (in DOS) regarding a problem starting USER.EXE and to reinstall the operating system - which I declined to do. Instead, I rebooted, and though the screen still went blank - then displaying brown-ish verticle lines on the right side of the display, it booted into Windows, where I only got one illegal operation.

Windows still hangs at shutdown, of course. I also tried a Microsoft fix, disabling the APM (Advanced Power Management). However, when I went into Device Manager\System Devices\Advanced Power Management support, in the Settings tab it didn't have any boxes to check\uncheck, it was bare. So I removed it instead, then disabled it in the BIOS. Still the same problem exists.

I'm going to look into this USER.EXE thing next, and figure out what that's all about. I appreciate your help - whether it works or not, it keeps me thinking.

------------------
    Roger J. Maxwell

1> did you go in in safe mode and check device manager for duplicate\wrong devices in
    all catergories (system normal for duplicates)also check, do you have "other devices" in there what are they? if you don't know they belong there, try removing them (such as pci card, pci bridge, etc)
    Did you get and install any motherboard patches available, such as pci bridge fix?
    If you have onboard video you are not using, be sure to disable with the jumper that is usually on the MB, not just in the cmos.
    2>try installing usb support
    3> from all I've read even when a MB says it supports both simms and sdram together, is that the 5v output from the simms will eventually damage the 3.3v sdram, it may work for awhile but..... anyway I wouldn't do it, you just slow down the sdram too.
    4> I've had trouble with conner drives before, did you try putting each as a master, one on primary, one on secondary, instead of master\slave
    5>your cd with the drivers for MB, sound and video...did the soundpro have OLD and NEW, if so try the old, I've had a lot of trouble with the new

Good luck

[This message has been edited by JeanneD (edited May 14, 1999).]
    "Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do"

rmaxwell
    1> ...Yes to all.
    2> ...I had USB installed before, but because I had disabled it in the BIOS, I removed it. Would you suggest that I install it while leaving it disabled in the BIOS.
    3> ...So, although I have the same problems using either the SIMMs alone or the DRAM alone...or are you suggesting that I'll probably have more problems in the future because of the voltage problem?
    4> ...The Connor drives worked fine together (for years) before all the problems arose with me having to replace the MB and so on. Since having to replace everything, I've repartitioned and formatted them.
    I gather then, that both drives are set as Master, then force the settings in the BIOS to Primary Master and Secondary Master...?
    5> ...I believe that the CD only had one set of sound drivers which I installed - being that I'm at work right now and the CD is home, I can't be super sure - but I'm 98% sure.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

------------------
    Roger J. Maxwell

Badseed
    Since you've tryed almost everything else. Like JenneD said, Download all new driver for all the devices and MBD. Put them into a seperate directory. Don't just rename the old win directory, change the attributes to hide or betteryet deltree it. When windows searches for drivers, it can & will look in the renamed dir. Take out everything not essential, (ie. modem, snd crd, unhook printer, etc.) reinstall & choose custome install. Un-check EVERYTHING under windows components. Now you'll have a clean install & can find the problem a lot easyer if it still exists.
    Good Luck.....

------------------
    Peter Staloch

Darren Wilson
    change the motherboard. The Jetway board is basically a PC-Chips board and is prone to htese problems. I( have had loadds of grief with these boards and will not sell them now because of this. My advice would be to buy a Giga-Byte or an Asus board instead.

------------------
    Who got game???? I know I do!!!!!!!

visit me @ http://www.ace-computers.co.uk

rmaxwell
    THE PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

Darren is the winner! Darren, make a copy of this and take it to your local Chrysler dealer and pick up your new Cordoba w/Corinthian leather!

So, I took Darren's advice and returned the Jetboard and swapped it for an ASUS board. Because the P166 came with the Jetboard, I had to get a CPU - I got an AMD 350 and purchased another 32MB PC-100 ram. I brought it home, plugged it in and it worked perfectly the first time. I didn't load any drivers or ...

On the downside, Action Computer only gave me $50 for the JetBoard, making the balance due at about $150. Also, I found no sound chip on this MB (as was on the Jetboard) so I had to buy another sound card (Creative Ensoniq ...if anyone reading this has this I would be interested in how you like/dislike it) - but I got it for $29.

Thanks to everyone who offered their help on this - it was greatly appreciated!

Take Care.

Xavier
    I have a PCI 128 at work. Its the same as your card I think. its OK but I bought a LIVE for my home PC ind it is about um , say, a M I L L I O N times better than that. And I got it for 80$ canadian so I think it should be cheap for you as well.
    The ensoniq is alright as well though.

About the new MB, i am suprised it went in well. usually windows really goes psyco when you put a differnet MB in the system. But i am glad things wokred out for you