Profile Question

Thread: Profile Question

Post Profile Question

Here is my network:

1 Win2k Server (PDC)
    1 Win2k Standalone
    1 Win98 Box
    1 XP Pro
    1 DSL/Cable modem router (acting as hub also)

I want to implement roaming profiles but I'm not sure my needs will be met. I want to log onto either the 98 box or the XP Box and my own copy of Outlook and when anyone else logs into either machine they get their own copy. In other word I want everyone to get their own email only. I thoght I could do this but wasn't sure. Any advice would be appreciated

I am also getting a w32time error. I can't figure out how to set it properly. Does any use a remote server for setting their time? Could you please in clude the syntax?

Thanks

Everyone has their own email account with our ISP.

W32time is pretty easy to set up - here is a warts an all document which goes into everything that is and isnt possible - <a href="http://www.greyware.com/software/domaintime/product/w32time.asp" target="_blank">W32 time</a>

The profiles, I cant help with - gotta learn that myself
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I would forget about roaming profiles and use terminal services instead. The client will run on all of your machines, is less than 1 meg, and frees up processing power and memory on your clients.

But, if you want to use roaming profiles, just create a folder on your PDC, share it, and add the path to that share to each of your users where it says profile path in AD Users and Computers. Like so

\servername\path\%username%
    \zeus\rp\%username%

For the 98 box it's different. Check here:
    <a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264866" target="_blank">http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q264866</a>

For more info check out this handy item.

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/case/roamprof.asp" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/Tec hNet/prodtechnol/windows2000serv/case/roamprof.asp</a>
    Deliver me from Swedish furniture!

Thanks man. I appreciate your help...

I didn't like roaming profiles the one time i tried to implement it. it was very slow logging on and shutting down, as it synchronized data with the server. especially if the profiles become very large.

NP bigcrit

[quote]Originally posted by tk421:
    <strong>I didn't like roaming profiles the one time i tried to implement it. it was very slow logging on and shutting down, as it synchronized data with the server. especially if the profiles become very large.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's why they suck tk421. You can limit the folders that are cached (pulled across the network) and you can limit the size of the profile with policies but in the end it's more of a hassle than it's worth. The only time I think they're necessary is when you have citrix/terminal server users in the same domain. In that case you need to keep the user profiles seperate.

Is there any way I can allow everyone to get there email and only their email from the same machine? That is essentially what I want to do.

Thanks

From the same machine or any machine?

From your earlier post I'm guessing you want to get mail from any machine.

In that case you can use outlook web access or you can configure terminal services to automatically run a program (outlook) when a user logs on. This will keep them away from the desktop and close the session when they close outlook. You can also publish the TS stuff to a web both as a desktop or as an application.

I think outlook web access is going to be your easiest solution.