Master IDE devices

Thread: Master IDE devices

Question Master IDE devices

Okay, so I leave my computer on all night because I have a burn going and I gotta get some sleep. I wake up in the morning to an error message that says my burner doesn't support reading subchannel data and the burn failed. I reboot the pc and my main burner which is the secondary channel master won't be detected by the bios. So I pull it out and try it on a different machine. Won't detect. It's a TDK VeloCD 16x/10/40/32 and it's a week old. No problem, it's under warranty. Get it replaced. Go to power on the PC it was fried in and it no longer sees my master HD. I pull that out and try it in the secondary machine. It won't recognize as a master. However it recognizes just fine as a slave. I ran WD's diagnostic and it came up with errors so I sent it in to be replaced. Here's the question. I'm upgrading my system and have a brand new asus Cusl2-c w/PIII 1 GHZ. waiting to replace my P3V4X w/PIII 450. I've never heard of this before and I don't want to blow my new system. Any ideas what may have caused this. Bad PS? Spike?
    "Is a dream a lie, if it don't come true?" -Springsteen

Lightbulb

my first thought was p/s. maybe someone else
    can can give you a different answer. good luck.
    Chicken one day...feathers the next
    Set your goals high and then go get a ladder.

I'd replace, or at least thoroughly test, the p/s. Do you know anyone with a Digital Multimeter that logs Maximum readings? Maybe they could run the p/s with a dummy load over a weekend and see if it's putting out excessive voltage on the 12 or 5 volt lines that could spike the drives.

I had a post a couple of days ago that was about Automatic shutdown. I was told to enable the power managment in the bios to get it to work . so i did and it did work. Although the next time I shut down it kept freezing up and when I hit CTRL ALT DEL it would show Rundll32. I would end task and then it would shut down. after seeing that I decided to start up again and thats when I found that both my drives on the same IDE cable where not being recognizes, It was like they had never been formatted. before I went to the point of fdisking them and starting over I, checked inside the case and changed the bales, still no go. so then I changed the molex conector.. Everthing booted up fine.
    Have you tried a different molex connector on your drive?
    Just a thought.
    I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

I know hard drives have master/Slave pins, does the VeloCD have them too?
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

Wink

Yes, the VeloCD has master/slave jumpers and when I returned it, I only checked the master channel. However, given the fact that the HD worked on slave but not on master, leads me to believe that had I checked the VeloCD before returning it, it probably had the same problem. Pretty sure it's PS though.
    "Is a dream a lie, if it don't come true?" -Springsteen