Linux/DSL question

Thread: Linux/DSL question

Cool Linux/DSL question

'Lo all, I took a look in the Linux forums and didn't find what I wanted so I figured I'd ask out here. Does anyone know what flavors of Linux support DSL? I've got Suse 6.4 and the documentation tells me that it doesn't as of yet support DSL. Thanks in advance.
    Perseverance in all matters.

CobraTekMax

At the risk of sounding ignorant, WTF? They must be talking about INTERNAL DSL modems, which I've found to be junk anyway. Any OS that supports networking through TCP/IP should work with DSL, as long as you're using a supported NIC. Both Red Hat 7.2 and BeOS 5 work great with the DSL modem going through my Realtek 8139 NIC.

Anyone, correct me if I'm wrong here.

Smile

Yeah, it's an internal DSL modem, but my documentation says specifically that Suse doesn't have support for DSL. Weird huh? Maybe I should just ignore the documentation and try and figger out how to hook it up.

Unhappy

Exactly what kind of DSL hardware is it? Linux absolutely supports DSL, and every router l've seen.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Wink

It's an internal Intel Pro/DSL 2100 modem. Having just checked Suses web site, they say on there that the latest version supports DSL, but I didn't find anything about DSL and version 6.4.

Originally posted by Percy:
    It's an internal Intel Pro/DSL 2100 modem. Having just checked Suses web site, they say on there that the latest version supports DSL, but I didn't find anything about DSL and version 6.4.
    out of curiosity...did your ISP sell you the internal?? from what ive seen those things are way over priced and since they are relatively new, it wouldnt suprise me that linux doesnt support it yet..i will say that my slakware distro supports dsl with no problems
    ""in certain cases...one remains a philosopher only by being silent." -Friedrich Neitzsche "

You could try compiling the latest kernel and checking that for DSL support. I have seen most of the recent distro's support it like mandrake and red hat so the support must be in the kernel.

I would love to have THAT problem.

Cool

No worries guys, according to the Suse website, version 7. something supports dsl. And yes, my ISP (Qwest) gave me the modem, but it was a promo and thus free. Works great in Windows but I /really/ wanna start learning Linux stuff before XP comes out and everyone and their grandmother switches over. Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated.

Originally posted by Percy:
    To be honest and blunt, you're screwed. intel is a long-standing enemy of linux and open-source, be it through DMCA and CPRM impositions, or simply that they refuse to even hint at how to make a driver/module, they just outright defy any ideas of making their products available to a new market. Supposedly there was a guy at Intel you can email about that particular card, to express interest and hopefully persuade them, but for all l know its vapourware. A quick search on google will turn up that name.

lt's not a kernel issue, as there isn't really anything about DSL mentioned in the kernel. The ethernet/routing/modem hardware sections don't include that device, so its 3rd party or nothing...but l don't know of any 3rd party support for it, either.

One suggestion: get a linksys, or a hub, or some other router...you can pick up hubs/switches pretty cheap, and then its just a matter of pointing your network to the right gateway/addressing.
    BreakWindows
    God told me to skin you alive..

Thanks for the info, BW. For now I'll put the dial-up modem back in and eventually get a different DSL one. Friend of mine is switching to cable and he's currently got a Linksys external DSL modem that he'll sell me. Thanks again for the help, much appreciated.