Use a hub to connect 2 pc's to the cable modem. Why doesn't it work? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Use a hub to connect 2 pc's to the cable modem. Why doesn't it work?

Cool

[quote]Originally posted by techs:
    <strong>I currently use the Linksys 4port router so I can just plug my laptop in at home without having to unplug the cable from my computer, turn off the cable modem and reboot. It works great. I notice only a very tiny dropoff in speed. The Linksys is great the way it configures almost everything automatically. The only thing that would be better would be if I could use the two vacant places on the router as a hub, or somehow communicate thru the router to the other computer. Sort of a combo hub and router. Of course if it could be done thru one net card... WOW</strong><hr></blockquote>

You can!!!, Either install NETBUI or search for the PC's IP on your network. If you are running WIN2K then create new shares to get rid of the $ next to the drive name. There is no reason why you can't share files behind a router.
    "Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe." Albert Einstein

The reason why the second computer would not get an IP address is that the physical address of the LAN card did not match your ISPs records. The ISPs system identifies you by the MAC address on the LAN card. To add a second (or more computers) you will need to set up a router with MAC aliasing. The LinkSys I have allows this function as do many other manufactures. Be sure to set the MAC alias in the router to be the same as the MAC address on the computer that does connect. Once this is done, and the rest of the router configuratioin is correct,all should be well.

Cheers! :-)

In one of the really, really Blue states.

[quote]Originally posted by yingling:
    <strong>

You can!!!, Either install NETBUI or search for the PC's IP on your network. If you are running WIN2K then create new shares to get rid of the $ next to the drive name. There is no reason why you can't share files behind a router.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I will try it!
    "We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin
    "I'm a hard worker." -George W. Bush

You may need to get a router because some cable modems bind to the first mac address it come in contact with making any other computers not able to use it. if you get a router like linksys which allows you to clone a mac address. you can put in the mac address of the first computer you hooked to the cable modem then you can have the router's DHCP Server give out ip's or sign ip manually

There is a way to do it, unfortunately I tried it. MS internet sharing is supposed to work (I never got the stupid thing to work properly, so I canned it). As said above the best way to go for all around speed, connectivity, and security will be a good router. Notice I said GOOD. Luckily I found mine at a Christmas sale at HUDSON's at 40% off a 79.99 price (Linksys 4 port). Easy connection and so far I love it! Now if you really want to go easy go with a Linksys Router/Switch, no messy extra wiring and it's easier to troubleshoot. Good Luck!
    Athlon 1900XP AGOGA,Volcano7 cooling,MSI KT3 Ultra2, 40G Maxtor ATA 133, 512MB PC3000 Mushkin, GF4 TI4400, Creative SB 5.1, TDK VeloCD, Antec case w/465W PS, Win XP

By the way FYI a hub or switch is used to network a series of PC's together, IT WILL NOT BE ABLE to act as a DCHP or assign addresses to another PC. As far as an extra IP address goes, @home (Comcast) charges a substantial monthly fee for this, going with a router is the best ROUTE!
    Athlon 1900XP AGOGA,Volcano7 cooling,MSI KT3 Ultra2, 40G Maxtor ATA 133, 512MB PC3000 Mushkin, GF4 TI4400, Creative SB 5.1, TDK VeloCD, Antec case w/465W PS, Win XP

your router should also act as a hub. i set up a linksys for a company and they had full network capabilities. They could share files and printers

[quote]Originally posted by techs:
    <strong>I currently use the Linksys 4port router so I can just plug my laptop in at home without having to unplug the cable from my computer, turn off the cable modem and reboot. It works great. I notice only a very tiny dropoff in speed. The Linksys is great the way it configures almost everything automatically. The only thing that would be better would be if I could use the two vacant places on the router as a hub, or somehow communicate thru the router to the other computer. Sort of a combo hub and router. Of course if it could be done thru one net card... WOW</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 4port linksys we have here in our home office works as a hub as well as a router. Infact we're running another hub off one of the ports just to save on running extra cabling out to the other rooms on the other side of the house.

Mustang

Ok heres what the solution is

Call your local providor
    tell them you have a 2nd computer you want to use
    they will assign a second computer name for the new computer(number will be almost identical but will end in different letter like a -b instead of a -a)
    enter the computer name in the system
    reboot and it will be assigned a separate ip address by the isp's dhcp server.

I know this as i work for the local @home providor in iowa.

[quote]Originally posted by Mustang:
    <strong>Ok heres what the solution is

Call your local providor
    tell them you have a 2nd computer you want to use
    they will assign a second computer name for the new computer(number will be almost identical but will end in different letter like a -b instead of a -a)
    enter the computer name in the system
    reboot and it will be assigned a separate ip address by the isp's dhcp server.

I know this as i work for the local @home providor in iowa.</strong><hr></blockquote>

If he's using a router paying for a second IP from the ISP is unnecessary and a waste of money....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

I had the same problem, 2 comps, win xp, cable modem and a regular 4 port hub. I was going the get a router, but a friend of mine told me about a program. All I had to do was run it on both computers, choose one as a server, the other a client, and that's it. I'm still amazed that it actually worked. The name of it is Sygate Home Network 4.2. Good luck whichever way you went.
    I'm out like a dyslexic in a spelling bee