HP Pavilion 8575C had 98SE, upgrading to XP (Riptide Modem/Sound) Comments??
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HP Pavilion 8575C had 98SE, upgrading to XP (Riptide Modem/Sound) Comments??

Question HP Pavilion 8575C had 98SE, upgrading to XP (Riptide Modem/Sound) Comments??

Greetings Gurus,

I am about to perform a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a HP Pavilion 8575C (PIII 550 MHz 128 mb RAM). I am interested in experiences or problems any of you may have run into with HP Pavilions. I have personally had a horrible time with the "Riptide" combo 56K Modem & Sound card in the past. I notice that HP has a Windows 2000 driver (that they describe as "unsupported") on their web-site. I will be trying that driver. This system has a 4X4X24 HP CD-Writer Plus. Currently it has the Adaptec software. I am going to install NERO Burning ROM 5.5 as I know it's XP compatible.

I will probably upgrade the RAM to 256.

Any comments, "look-out-fors", etc. would be greatly appreciated!

Lightbulb

If you have an operating system installed right now, make sure that you run the compatability wizzard that comes on the XP CD. It *should* outline any problems that you may have. I personally have only installed XP on 1 HP and I didn't have any issues.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Great idea! I didn't think of running the Compatibility Wizard before I blow away the partition. I'll try that & post the results here.

Exclamation

Don't depend on it for everything...I have found that it errs on the side of caution and alot of devices will still work on XP with Win9X or 2000 drivers even after the compatabitlity test sais it wouldn't. If one of these come up(like a scanner) you can try a driver and if it doesn't work, you can roll back(WinXP) to the previous driver and try another.
    Note: To correct display problems, hold the "ALT"key and press"F4".

Thanks GameGuru, I'd rather the compatibility err on the side of caution, at least I would have advance notice of a potential problem.

MAN! You should see the list of stuff that XP thinks it's going to have a problem with! I'm installing it now. I'll post the results.

Have encountered very bad results trying to get that HP Riptide stuff to work with XP. Found it much quicker to just yank it out and install a different soundcard and modem....
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

This is not my machine, but if it were, I'd definitely replace the Riptide combo with a discrete Modem & sound card. I've had great luck with the "Intel Chip (HAL) PCI modem" & they are CHEAP! They connect reliably, consistently & stay connected even through crappy line conditions. They also get pretty good speed. I get them for a little more than 10 bucks! Sound cards have dropped in price also.

Exclamation

In case you haven't already done so, go here to read up on <a href="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06784.html" target="_blank">HP Pavilion Desktop PCs - Can I Upgrade My Microsoft (R) Windows 95, 98, or 98SE Operating System to Windows XP?</a>

Also, go here to read up on <a href="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06720.html" target="_blank">HP Pavilion PCs - Microsoft (R) Windows XP Support Statement</a>. Some good basic info there...

Also, go here to read up on <a href="http://www.hp.com/cposupport/personal_computing/support_doc/bph06549.html" target="_blank">HP Pavilion PCs - Identifying Modem and Driver Solutions</a>. While it doesn't specifically list WinXP, it might have some good info in there for you. As you probably already know, HP has not yet made their WinXP drivers available for download. They are only available on their WinXP Home edition which is on a partition on the Pavilion hard disk. There, they have an Application Recovery program to recover specific programs and/or drivers.

Let us know how it goes...Good Luck!
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

Final Post.... Thanks to all who posted!

I installed XP clean & it picked up all but the Riptide Modem (as expected). Surprisingly, it detected & installed drivers for the sound portion of the Riptide device. I located a Windows 2000 updated driver for the Modem & installed that. It seems to work OK. I'm typing this post on the machine in question on a dial-up connection using the Riptide Modem. I'm achieving pretty decent dial-up speed. Windows XP detected & installed drivers for the NIC & the NVidia Riva TnT Video also. The HP 4X4X24 CD-Writer Plus CD-RW seems to work OK with NERO version 5.5.6.4 which is XP compatible.

I upgraded the RAM from 128 to 256 mb (PC-100 SDRam). Overall performance with XP on this Intel PIII 550 is very good! I'm pleasantly surprised actually. I'm not a fan of HP Pavilions generally.

The owner of this PC has an inexpensive Visioneer Scanner & the Visioneer web-site indicates that there are XP compatible drivers available. He also has a Quick Cam web-cam & their web site indicates that drivers for most of their cameras are built-in to XP.

An interesting note regarding “NetMeeting”; I tried to locate it on the Microsoft web-site, thinking it was not included in Windows XP. It turns out that you must simply “activate it”. The easiest way is to click “Start”>”Run”>then type “conf” <Enter>. This brings up the NetMeeting activation\Registration window.

Another interesting XP note; The “Microsoft Virtual Machine” (Java) is NOT included on the XP CD. Due to the lawsuit brought by Sun Microsystems, Microsoft was forced to offer it as a separate download. I didn’t realize this until I got an error in QuickBooks 2001 at startup that complained about being unable to locate a DLL that is included in the MSJVM. See this <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/java/" target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/java/</a> for additional info.

Quote Originally Posted by TangleWeb
    Greetings Gurus,

I am about to perform a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a HP Pavilion 8575C (PIII 550 MHz 128 mb RAM). I am interested in experiences or problems any of you may have run into with HP Pavilions. I have personally had a horrible time with the "Riptide" combo 56K Modem & Sound card in the past. I notice that HP has a Windows 2000 driver (that they describe as "unsupported") on their web-site. I will be trying that driver. This system has a 4X4X24 HP CD-Writer Plus. Currently it has the Adaptec software. I am going to install NERO Burning ROM 5.5 as I know it's XP compatible.

I too have the Pavilion and I removed the RIPTIDE and replaces it with a stand alone sound card and modem. I have had no problems. Hp did tell me yesterday, that there is a max memory on those boards of 384 mb. I have since replaced the AWARDbios with an upgrade to 2004 and I'm also in the process of replacing the PC100 memory with PC133 and from 256mb to 512mb. The last part probably will not get done till Wed or Thurs this week.

Quote Originally Posted by rwswork1
    I too have the Pavilion and I removed the RIPTIDE and replaces it with a stand alone sound card and modem. I have had no problems. Hp did tell me yesterday, that there is a max memory on those boards of 384 mb. I have since replaced the AWARDbios with an upgrade to 2004 and I'm also in the process of replacing the PC100 memory with PC133 and from 256mb to 512mb. The last part probably will not get done till Wed or Thurs this week.
    This must be some kind of record

I posted that in December 2001! Obviously the search works pretty well on WinDrivers!

I'm glad you got yours worked out though. As you mention, the BIOS upgrade will almost certainly allow you to install 512mb of PC133 SDRam (2 x 256mb). You will want to be sure you get "Low-Density" RAM. The newer (& usually less expensive) hi-density stuff will probably not work.

~Dave
    Last edited by TangleWeb; August 24th, 2004 at 03:41 PM.

i gues now, ur one the oldest active members her TangleWeb!

Quote Originally Posted by TechZ
    i gues now, ur one the oldest active members her TangleWeb!
    Hey TechZ

I'm not all that active on WinDrivers any more... Coincidentally, I happened to browse the forums last weekend. It was mid-2003 since I last posted anything.

I was subscribed to the thread back in December 2001 & I guess the subscription never expires It surprised me to see an email saying someone posted to a thread I started & subscribed to way back then. “Internet years” are like “dog years”, so this was like 25 regular years! I think that may have been one of my first XP installs.

Anyway, WinDrivers is a good forum, I need to come back more often.

~Dave

Quote Originally Posted by TangleWeb
    Greetings Gurus,

A little late maybe, but I had just loaded XP sp2 on a Pavilion 8670c 600 mhz, 133 bus with 128 mb of ram. It had the RIPTIDE sound/modem and the original HP ethernet card. It also had the 4x hp writer. I had no problems at all loading XP SP1 then SP2 . I loaded SP1 from a CD and SP2 form the internet. Works great with a 802.11g card I installed for WI-FI . It also has a USB mouse and HP keyboard.
    I did NOT relaod the proprietary HP software that supports the keyboard though since it has been reported to have spyware built into it. (Netropa). All else (modem, sound and CD burner) works great.

I also have the same HP 8670c but I upgraded the bios to a newer April 2004 non hp bios from esupport.com ... IT too works fine and will be adding a multi boot system so I can use win98se, linux and WIN XP sp2 on it. I have 384 mb of ram and 4 hard drives off a Promise card. I replaced the riptide with another modem card, installed a Sound blaster 16 card, added an HP CD write 9500.
    Soon I will be replacing the original DVD rom with a Sony DVD burner.
    All works to my specs for now.

Hope this helps.......

Rich

hope this info helps......

Rich