Is there any free cd writing software for win98SE? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Is there any free cd writing software for win98SE?

Banned

the ironic thing is , a couple of weeks ago I had a customer bring a new (OEM) philips cd-r and asked me to install it. nero 4 or 5 would not workv (inc updates) niether would adaptec (all new versions inc updates) nor an old copy of cequadrat ,,,,,my intention was to charge him retail price of my disk (and replace it when i go to w/saler) ....."as if"

anyway the philips site was a load of **** even saying the writer Pt. No. didnt exist.

I dug a copy of the sony prog out from a cd-r backup ,,,,and it worked!!!! ,,,,also clone-cd worked (but i only installed x2 demo version).
    if he wants x16 then he will have to pay.

had nero or adaptec worked I would have charged him "retail" + install charges,

the sony prog is worth keeping a backup of (for emergancies) It is a FULL GUI writing prog - not a win32 app,,,this is why I located the link and reserected it (for other users who are struggling)

anybody else care to comment on what will/willnot work on the sony prog.

freddy

The SONY program wouldn't work in Win XP RC1 or 2 and my TDK velocd 12x10x32x and abit bp6.

I had to get NERO to burn cd's the "write" way (pun intended)

I have Win XP Pro now and an Asus CUSL2, and haven'd bothered to try the Sony software anymore to see if it works.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

The Sony program works on both of my burners. One is an 8X Sony in my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and the other is a Creative 12x10x32x. Thanks for the tip.

The program looks an awful lot like Prassi's Primo CD.

The laptop is running W2K and the machine with the creative is running XP Pro.
    Indeterminism. There's nothing you can do about it.

Has anyone else tried HP RecordNow? When setting up a new computer for a guy who had an HP burner, I went out to the HP support site and found that they offer this software for free. It worked great for the HP burner, but I thought it wouldn't work with non-HP products. I downloaded and tried it here at work and it works with my LG CED-8120B burner! The software does just basic music and data CD burning, but its better than the XP software.

Steve

BTW, here's a link:
    <a href="ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/recordnow_ver35b_enu.exe" target="_blank">ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/recordnow_ver35b_enu.exe</a>
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Another quick note ~

ReBoot, I'll show you how to burn an ISO with XP - download the 'ISO Recorder Power Toy'. This software makes creating ISOs (and burning ISOs to CDs) extremely easy. Open Explorer, right-click on CD-drive, choose 'Copy CD to Image File', choose destination location, done. Then, to burn the ISO to a CD, right-click any ISO, choose 'Copy image to CD', babang! done. If you're burning the CD from an ISO located on a mapped network drive, it will even copy the ISO to temp before burning.

The regular site to download is <a href="http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm," target="_blank">http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm,</a> but this site seems to be down temporarily. I found the download here:

<a href="http://www.wintotaldb.de/yad/softw.php?urubrik=48&id=875" target="_blank">http://www.wintotaldb.de/yad/softw.php?urubrik=48&id=875</a>

The page is in German, but the download button points to the correct file.

Have fun.

BTW, this software works only in XP.
    Navin: "The new phone book's here! The new phone book's here!"

Banned

[quote]Originally posted by stevet:
    <strong>Has anyone else tried HP RecordNow? When setting up a new computer for a guy who had an HP burner, I went out to the HP support site and found that they offer this software for free. It worked great for the HP burner, but I thought it wouldn't work with non-HP products. I downloaded and tried it here at work and it works with my LG CED-8120B burner! The software does just basic music and data CD burning, but its better than the XP software.

Steve

BTW, here's a link:
    <a href="ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/recordnow_ver35b_enu.exe" target="_blank">ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/information_storage/software/recordnow_ver35b_enu.exe</a></strong><hr></blockquote>

d/loaded tried and tested LG 16x10x? ....works great !!!!!!

nice "little" prog to put on "joe Punters" machine , Nero and adaptec baffle um ,,,don,t let a child play with a machine gun !!!!!!! thanks stevet ,,,will keep this one on cd (i usually just put a copy of clone-cd on -early version)

freddy

[quote]Originally posted by Evil Cabbage
    <strong>you get what you pay for, people..

just my 0.2c</strong><hr></blockquote>

I guess by that analogy, then all the advice you me and everyone else who regularly frequents thes forums have offered is all bad then. . . . after all no one paid anything for it

Not everything that's free is automatically bad. I think Linux is a pretty nice OS. Last time I checked, it didn't cost a dime. Star Office is a really nice alternative to MS Office and last time I checked it was available for free download. (granted that was quite a while ago and it may cost now . . .I haven't checked) Analog X makes some very handy and small utilities and doesn't charge a dime for them.

Granted there is a lot of crappy free software out there, but there is also a lot of crappy expensive software out there too. Cost does not indicate quality.

P.S. what full featured Burning software are you using that only costs $15?

And Wouldn't you be more comfortable in a more expensive program something like this ultra rare limited edition of Nero I have. It's only $1000 . . . Remember you get what you pay for

Banned

and the upgrade to make the sony software work with "new" recorders is available from <a href="http://www.veritas.com/us/products/recordnow/drivers/" target="_blank">http://www.veritas.com/us/products/recordnow/drivers/</a> small d/load that is for the pressi engine

, as used in:
    RecordNow,
    RecordNow DX, & RecordNow Max
    MyCD & MyCD Pro
    PrimoCD & PrimoCD Plus, PrimoCD Pro8, PrimoCD Pro16, PrimoCD Pro64 & PrimoDVD
    Click'N Burn Plus & Click'N Burn Pro
    SonicBurn, CD Extreme, Spressa Play & Record

should make a few of us happy!!!!!

sony now accepts lg161040

there is a text doc to go with it listing all compatable drives.

the stuff that comes with XP is more than adequate for most EUs, allows for data, and audio burning, if they want more ( ISO, Mixed Mode, Boot) , they should pay a premium for it.

[quote]Originally posted by Shairel:
    <strong>the stuff that comes with XP is more than adequate for most EUs, allows for data, and audio burning, if they want more ( ISO, Mixed Mode, Boot) , they should pay a premium for it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The thread was for writing software under 98se (check the title) so the fact that XP offers rudimentary CD burning capabilities is of no help to the 98Se user who has a bulk drive with no software.