[RESOLVED] Using a switch vs. a hub - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Using a switch vs. a hub

derekb

Cool

Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!S witch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Sw itch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Switch!Swi tch!Switch!Switch!Switch! I don't use hubs anymore. The only time that I would use a hub is if the network had less than 20 nodes. Besides switches are extremely cheap now, in comparison to what they were 5 years ago. For all the versiatility that you get from a switch a hub just isn't worth it.

------------------
    Relaxing in the corporate world!

Thumbs up

Had a client with a 10 MBS 8 port hub, had a few problems with saving files to the server.
    I switched out to a 100/10 MBS switch and haven't had a problem since!

The Iceman

In addition to being able to individually configure each port, and the greater efficiency of a switch, due to it directing the network traffic to the machine with the corresponding MAC, some of the better ones can be administrated with software or a web browser. The HP Procurve switches we use will monitor the amount of traffic coming through ports, as well as alerting us of potential problems with the individual port.

FuggHugh

Unhappy

I had purchased the same ark switch for just 2 Win 2k systems to share a cable modem plugged in the uplink. The only problem I came up with was that I had to have both tcp/ip and NetBEUI installed to connect. Tcp/ip to connect to the internet and NetBEUI to connect accross the lan. With just tcp/ip installed I could access the internet, but not the other system. Once that was done everything worked fine.

steckels

Switches rule on a LAN, Routers only for WAN's /subnetting and hubs if ya like all your computers shouting at each other.

dvfinn

I've been very happy with D-Link Hubs and Switches. Price wise they've given me a good bang for the buck.

rjwilke

I have a cable modem connected to a Linksys switch. Two pc's share the connection via Sygate software. It works like a charm. Go with the switch.

Ghost God

I think at this point it's obvious. No need to even post my opinion.

------------------
    "Is the Systems Administrator available for me to talk to?"

"BUT...but I am the Systems Administrator!"

"Damn it!"

amitchel53

I set up that very network you're talking about in homes all over the Chicagoland area. It works just fine. Just make sure you use good quality Nic's.

Sorry_I_Win

Well, thanx everyone. Who knew this would be such a popular post. 627 views. ow! I will be setting it up on Sat. I'll let ya know how it goes.

[This message has been edited by Sorry_I_Win (edited March 16, 2001).]